Volume of a box using differentiation

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about finding the maximum area of an open box with a given amount of fencing. The person is stuck and has tried applying the Product Rule but cannot get a numeric value for a or b. Another person suggests double checking the equation for the area, as not all faces of the box have the same area. This helps the person and they thank the other for their help.
Matty R
Hello :smile:

I'm really stuck on a question and could do with some help.

Homework Statement

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/2161/19947313.jpg

Homework Equations

http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/3478/24591171.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/2808/54885491.jpg

I'm so confused. I'm going round and round in circles. I've proven that 256 does indeed equal 256, and 1280, funnily enough, equals 1280. I've tried applying the Product Rule at various stages to no avail. I just can't see how to get a numeric value of a or b.

The only thing like this that we've done in class was a question where we were given an amount of fencing and had to work out the maximum quadrilateral area that it could enclose. But I'm ending up with products equalling 0 instead of a number and a letter being added and don't know what to do.

I'd appreciate any and all help/hints/tips.

Thanks. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Double check your equation for the Area - not all of the 5 faces of what will be the open box have the same area. I hope that helps.

A = 4ab + b^2.

I fall for stuff like that all the time. :rolleyes:

Thank you very much. :smile:

1. What is the formula for finding the volume of a box using differentiation?

The formula for finding the volume of a box using differentiation is V = lwh, where l is the length, w is the width, and h is the height of the box.

2. Why is differentiation used to find the volume of a box?

Differentiation is used because it allows us to find the rate of change of the volume with respect to each side of the box, making it easier to calculate the volume using the formula V = lwh.

3. Can the volume of a box be found using integration instead of differentiation?

Yes, the volume of a box can also be found using integration. However, differentiation is typically used when the dimensions of the box are known, while integration is used when the volume function is given in terms of the dimensions.

4. Are there any limitations to using differentiation to find the volume of a box?

One limitation is that differentiation can only be used when the dimensions of the box are known. If the dimensions are not given, integration may be a better method for finding the volume.

5. Can differentiation be used to find the volume of any three-dimensional shape?

No, differentiation can only be used to find the volume of shapes with a constant cross-sectional area, such as a rectangular box. For other shapes, such as a cone or sphere, integration is the preferred method for finding the volume.