1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volume of a cone covered with a plane

1. Mar 23, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I need to find the volume of a cone covered with a plane z=h using multiple integrals. The scheme is something like this:

attachment.php?attachmentid=57019&stc=1&d=1364060517.png

2. Relevant equations

Formula of the cone x^2-y^2-z^2=0

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried to integrate ∫∫∫(x^2-y^2-z^2)dxdydz in all different kinds of bounds, for example {x,0,L}, {y,-R,R}, {z,-R, H}, but the answer is always negative. I can't really get my head around the error, help please?

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2013 #2
    What does this formula even mean?

4. Mar 23, 2013 #3

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

And remember if you are calculating a volume with a triple integral you always use a formula$$
    Vol = \iiint_R 1\, dV$$
    where ##R## is the region in question and ##dV## is ##dxdydz## in some order and ##R## is described by putting appropriate limits on the integrals. The integrand is always ##1##.

5. Mar 23, 2013 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Your first step is to choose a way to slice up the volume into laminae whose areas you can hope to calculate. I would suggest slices parallel to the xz plane, so the area will be a function of y.

6. Mar 23, 2013 #5

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Also notice that either the picture or the equation is incorrect. The cone that is pictured would be a portion of ##x^2-y^2+z^2=0##.

7. Mar 26, 2013 #6
    The integral is very nasty if it were to be done by hand. Is it a homework question?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted