Volume of a cone covered with a plane

In summary, the person is struggling to find the volume of a cone covered with a plane using multiple integrals and is asking for help. They have attempted to integrate the formula for the cone but have not been successful in finding a positive answer. They have been advised to slice up the volume into laminae and use a specific formula for calculating volume with a triple integral.
shakaflaka

Homework Statement

I need to find the volume of a cone covered with a plane z=h using multiple integrals. The scheme is something like this:

attachment.php?attachmentid=57019&stc=1&d=1364060517.png

Homework Equations

Formula of the cone x^2-y^2-z^2=0

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to integrate ∫∫∫(x^2-y^2-z^2)dxdydz in all different kinds of bounds, for example {x,0,L}, {y,-R,R}, {z,-R, H}, but the answer is always negative. I can't really get my head around the error, help please?

Attachments

• cone.png
    cone.png
    3.2 KB · Views: 503
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
shakaflaka said:
I tried to integrate ∫∫∫(x^2-y^2-z^2)dxdydz

What does this formula even mean?

And remember if you are calculating a volume with a triple integral you always use a formula$$
Vol = \iiint_R 1\, dV$$
where ##R## is the region in question and ##dV## is ##dxdydz## in some order and ##R## is described by putting appropriate limits on the integrals. The integrand is always ##1##.

Your first step is to choose a way to slice up the volume into laminae whose areas you can hope to calculate. I would suggest slices parallel to the xz plane, so the area will be a function of y.

Also notice that either the picture or the equation is incorrect. The cone that is pictured would be a portion of ##x^2-y^2+z^2=0##.

haruspex said:
Your first step is to choose a way to slice up the volume into laminae whose areas you can hope to calculate. I would suggest slices parallel to the xz plane, so the area will be a function of y.

The integral is very nasty if it were to be done by hand. Is it a homework question?

What is the formula for calculating the volume of a cone covered with a plane?

The formula for calculating the volume of a cone covered with a plane is V = (1/3)πr^2h, where r is the radius of the base of the cone and h is the height of the cone.

What is the difference between the volume of a cone and the volume of a cone covered with a plane?

The volume of a cone is the measurement of the space that the cone occupies, while the volume of a cone covered with a plane is the measurement of the space that the cone and the plane above it occupy together.

Can the volume of a cone covered with a plane be negative?

No, the volume of a cone covered with a plane cannot be negative. It is always a positive value as it represents the amount of space occupied by the cone and the plane above it.

How do you find the height of a cone when given its volume and radius?

To find the height of a cone when given its volume and radius, you can rearrange the formula for volume (V = (1/3)πr^2h) to solve for h. The equation would be h = 3V/(πr^2).

Can the volume of a cone covered with a plane be greater than the volume of a cone?

Yes, it is possible for the volume of a cone covered with a plane to be greater than the volume of a cone. This would occur when the plane covers a portion of the cone's base, adding additional space to the overall volume measurement.