1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volume of a Frustrum of a Pyramid

1. Sep 9, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the volume, using only the variables a, b, and h in your answer.

A frustum of a pyramid with square base of side b, square top of side a, and height h:

2. Relevant equations

Area = length*width.

Length of side S = ??

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that generally when finding volume, it's going to be the integral from a[bottom] to b[top] of a cross-section's area. usually that'd just be integral[pi*r^2] a..b for a cylinder.

For this, obviously, I need to find an equation for the length side S that is a function of h, so S(h) = SL.

My first thought was (b-a)h, but that wouldn't change as the integral changes, so it's out. I can't think of a dynamic equation to suit the problem, and would appreciate help pushing me in that direction.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2010 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Let x be the height of your cross section. So x ranges from 0 to h. Let S(x) be the side length as a function of x. So S(0)=b and S(h)=a and S varies linearly in between. Now can you write an explicit form for S(x)?
  4. Sep 9, 2010 #3
    Ahh, soo..

S(x) = b + [(a-b)x]/h

So it would be the integral from 0..h of ( b + [(a-b)x]/h )^2 dx..

And the volume is:

V = [PLAIN]http://www4a.wolframalpha.com/Calculate/MSP/MSP105419c6ggha31a9g60d000062bg6e58533dg93g?MSPStoreType=image/gif&s=16&w=117&h=36 [Broken]
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  5. Sep 9, 2010 #4
    Update - got this problem right, then did another frustrum (of a cone) and got that right as well. Thanks for the pointer, appreciate it! :D

I love how this parallels the derivative formula in the easy/hard way...(1/3)*h*(a-b)^2 every time, give or take a Pi...lol.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook