1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volume of a solid bound by four surfaces

1. Oct 25, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Compute the volume of the solid bounded by the four surfaces x+z=1,x+z=−1,z=1−y2,z=y2−1

2. Relevant equations
    Fubini's theorem?

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have tried to visualize this solid and define the limits; when I attempted to integrate by dxdzdy (in that order), I set the limits for the first integral as -z-1 to -z+1, the second integral as y^2-1 to 1-y^2, and third integral as -1 to 1, but the I'm not getting a value due to the second integral evaluating as zero.

I feel almost certain that the problem mainly has to do with defining the correct limits and order of integration, but I'm having a bit of trouble here.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

How can the second integral be zero? Some sign error?
    The order of integrals is useful.

4. Oct 25, 2015 #3
    Because y2-1=-(1-y^2) and there are no y terms after the first integral, the integral equals 0.

5. Oct 25, 2015 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

If you integrate f(y)=1 from y=-5 to y=5, is the result 0 - or maybe 10?

6. Oct 25, 2015 #5
    Wow. I can't believe that I made such a dumb mistake. I stared at it for at least 10 min straight.

Thanks for putting up with such a trivial problem. X(

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted