Volume of a solid bound by four surfaces

In summary, the conversation is about computing the volume of a solid bounded by four surfaces using Fubini's theorem. The individual has attempted to visualize the solid and determine the correct limits and order of integration, but has encountered a problem with the second integral evaluating as zero. After some discussion, it is realized that the mistake was due to a sign error.
Conservation

Homework Statement

Compute the volume of the solid bounded by the four surfaces x+z=1,x+z=−1,z=1−y2,z=y2−1

Homework Equations

Fubini's theorem?

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried to visualize this solid and define the limits; when I attempted to integrate by dxdzdy (in that order), I set the limits for the first integral as -z-1 to -z+1, the second integral as y^2-1 to 1-y^2, and third integral as -1 to 1, but the I'm not getting a value due to the second integral evaluating as zero.

I feel almost certain that the problem mainly has to do with defining the correct limits and order of integration, but I'm having a bit of trouble here.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
How can the second integral be zero? Some sign error?
The order of integrals is useful.

Because y2-1=-(1-y^2) and there are no y terms after the first integral, the integral equals 0.

If you integrate f(y)=1 from y=-5 to y=5, is the result 0 - or maybe 10?

Wow. I can't believe that I made such a dumb mistake. I stared at it for at least 10 min straight.

Thanks for putting up with such a trivial problem. X(

1. What is the definition of a solid bound by four surfaces?

A solid bound by four surfaces is a three-dimensional shape that is enclosed by four connected surfaces, also known as faces or sides. These surfaces can be flat or curved, and they meet at specific points called vertices.

2. How can the volume of a solid bound by four surfaces be calculated?

The volume of a solid bound by four surfaces can be calculated using the formula V = l * w * h, where l is the length, w is the width, and h is the height of the solid. Alternatively, if the solid has a regular shape, such as a cube or rectangular prism, the volume can be calculated using specific formulas for those shapes.

3. What are some real-life examples of solids bound by four surfaces?

Some real-life examples of solids bound by four surfaces include a shoebox, a dice, and a tissue box. These objects have four flat surfaces that are connected to form a three-dimensional shape.

4. How does the volume of a solid bound by four surfaces change if one or more of the surfaces is altered?

If one or more of the surfaces of a solid bound by four surfaces is altered, the volume of the solid can also change. For example, if the height is increased, the volume will increase as well. However, if one of the surfaces is removed entirely, the solid will no longer have four surfaces and cannot be considered a solid bound by four surfaces.

5. How is the volume of a solid bound by four surfaces related to the concept of displacement?

The volume of a solid bound by four surfaces is closely related to the concept of displacement. When an object is placed in a liquid, it will displace a certain amount of the liquid, which is equal to its volume. This is why the volume of a solid bound by four surfaces can be measured by submerging it in a liquid and measuring the amount of liquid it displaces.