Volume of a Solid of Revolution

In summary: If I multiply by two (or integrate from -4 to 4), then I get the book answer. But the problem states that the area is bounded by the X-axis. Multiplying by 2 would give the volume for the object both above and below the X-axis. Isn't that right?Yes, that is correct.
SheldonG

Homework Statement

Find the volume generated by rotating the area bounded by [itex] y^2 = 8x, x = 2 [/itex] and the x-axis about the y-axis.

Homework Equations

Volume of cylinder, volume of disk.

The Attempt at a Solution

I think this can be solved by subtracting the 'empty' volume from the volume of a cylinder of radius 2:

[tex] \pi r^2h - \int_0^4 \frac{\pi y^2}{8}\,dy [/tex]

I get an answer of [itex] \pi 40/3 [/itex] but the solution provided is [itex] 128/5\pi [/itex].

I'm sure my arithmetic is not that far off :-)

What did I do wrong?

Thanks,
Sheldon

Physics news on Phys.org
SheldonG said:

Homework Statement

Find the volume generated by rotating the area bounded by [itex] y^2 = 8x, x = 2 [/itex] and the x-axis about the y-axis.

Homework Equations

Volume of cylinder, volume of disk.

The Attempt at a Solution

I think this can be solved by subtracting the 'empty' volume from the volume of a cylinder of radius 2:

[tex] \pi r^2h - \int_0^4 \frac{\pi y^2}{8}\,dy [/tex]

I get an answer of [itex] \pi 40/3 [/itex] but the solution provided is [itex] 128/5\pi [/itex].

I'm sure my arithmetic is not that far off :-)

What did I do wrong?

Thanks,
Sheldon

I see an error, but I still don't get the provided answer. I believe the following is correct:

[tex] \pi r^2h - \int_0^4 \frac{\pi y^4}{64}\,dy [/tex]

However I get the answer: [itex] 64\pi/5 [/itex]

Thanks!
Sheldon

SheldonG said:
I see an error, but I still don't get the provided answer. I believe the following is correct:

[tex] \pi r^2h - \int_0^4 \frac{\pi y^4}{64}\,dy [/tex]

However I get the answer: [itex] 64\pi/5 [/itex]

Thanks!
Sheldon
That integral is the correct one. I don't see how you could get [itex]64\pi/5[/itex] out of it! Show exactly how you integrated.

HallsofIvy said:
That integral is the correct one. I don't see how you could get [itex]64\pi/5[/itex] out of it! Show exactly how you integrated.

When x = 2, y = 4, so that's the height of the cylinder:

[tex] \pi(2^2)4 - \int_0^4 \frac{\pi y^4}{64}\,dy = 16\pi -\pi\left[\frac{y^5}{(5)(64)}\right]_0^4 [/tex][tex] 16\pi - \frac{16\pi}{5} = \frac{80\pi}{5} - \frac{16\pi}{5} = \frac{64\pi}{5} [/tex]

Am I making some dumb mistake here?

Thanks for your help!
Sheldon

Your integration is actually perfect.

Just notice that your answer is 1/2 the book's answer. That should lead you in the right direction.

Wolf of the Ste said:
Your integration is actually perfect.

Just notice that your answer is 1/2 the book's answer. That should lead you in the right direction.

Hi Wolf,

I noticed that, but I don't understand it. I am starting to wonder if the book answer is wrong, but this is a new topic, and I am not feeling very confident.

If I multiply by two (or integrate from -4 to 4), then I get the book answer. But the problem states that the area is bounded by the X-axis. Multiplying by 2 would give the volume for the object both above and below the X-axis. Isn't that right?

Thanks for your help,
Sheldon

1. What is meant by "Volume of a Solid of Revolution"?

The volume of a solid of revolution is the measure of space occupied by a three-dimensional object that is created by rotating a two-dimensional shape around an axis. This concept is commonly used in calculus and physics to calculate the volume of objects such as cylinders, cones, and spheres.

2. How is the volume of a solid of revolution calculated?

The volume of a solid of revolution can be calculated using the method of cylindrical shells or the method of washers. Both methods involve finding the area of a cross-section of the solid and then integrating it over the range of rotation to find the total volume.

3. What is the difference between the two methods of calculating volume of a solid of revolution?

The method of cylindrical shells is used when the cross-section of the solid is parallel to the axis of rotation, while the method of washers is used when the cross-section is perpendicular to the axis of rotation. The method of washers is more versatile and can be used for a wider range of shapes.

4. Can the volume of a solid of revolution be negative?

No, the volume of a solid of revolution cannot be negative. It is always a positive value as it represents the amount of space occupied by the object.

5. What are some real-world applications of calculating volume of a solid of revolution?

Calculating the volume of a solid of revolution has many practical applications, such as in engineering, architecture, and physics. For example, it can be used to calculate the volume of a water tank, the capacity of a cylindrical container, or the amount of material needed to create a specific shape in manufacturing processes.