1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volume of a Solid of Revolution

1. Apr 8, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the volume generated by rotating the area bounded by [itex] y^2 = 8x, x = 2 [/itex] and the x-axis about the y-axis.

2. Relevant equations
    Volume of cylinder, volume of disk.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I think this can be solved by subtracting the 'empty' volume from the volume of a cylinder of radius 2:

[tex] \pi r^2h - \int_0^4 \frac{\pi y^2}{8}\,dy [/tex]

I get an answer of [itex] \pi 40/3 [/itex] but the solution provided is [itex] 128/5\pi [/itex].

I'm sure my arithmetic is not that far off :-)

What did I do wrong?

Thanks,
    Sheldon

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2007 #2
    I see an error, but I still don't get the provided answer. I believe the following is correct:

[tex] \pi r^2h - \int_0^4 \frac{\pi y^4}{64}\,dy [/tex]

However I get the answer: [itex] 64\pi/5 [/itex]

Thanks!
    Sheldon

4. Apr 8, 2007 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That integral is the correct one. I don't see how you could get [itex]64\pi/5[/itex] out of it! Show exactly how you integrated.

5. Apr 8, 2007 #4
    When x = 2, y = 4, so that's the height of the cylinder:

[tex] \pi(2^2)4 - \int_0^4 \frac{\pi y^4}{64}\,dy = 16\pi -\pi\left[\frac{y^5}{(5)(64)}\right]_0^4 [/tex]

[tex] 16\pi - \frac{16\pi}{5} = \frac{80\pi}{5} - \frac{16\pi}{5} = \frac{64\pi}{5} [/tex]

Am I making some dumb mistake here?

Thanks for your help!
    Sheldon

6. Apr 8, 2007 #5
    Your integration is actually perfect.

Just notice that your answer is 1/2 the book's answer. That should lead you in the right direction.

7. Apr 8, 2007 #6
    Hi Wolf,

I noticed that, but I don't understand it. I am starting to wonder if the book answer is wrong, but this is a new topic, and I am not feeling very confident.

If I multiply by two (or integrate from -4 to 4), then I get the book answer. But the problem states that the area is bounded by the X-axis. Multiplying by 2 would give the volume for the object both above and below the X-axis. Isn't that right?

Thanks for your help,
    Sheldon

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?