1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volume of a three dimensional gaussian

1. Feb 26, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    How can I find the volume of a three dimensional gaussian [tex] exp\left [ \frac{-x^2}{\sigma_{x}} \frac{-y^2}{\sigma_{x}}\frac{-z^2}{\sigma_{z}} \right ] [/tex] ? Since it is a gaussian, the volume should actually extend to infinity. It seems like there should be a simple double or triple integral, but I can't figure out how to set it up.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I multiplied the integral of each gaussian over all space (and of course each of these integrals converges)
    [tex] V = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}exp\left [ \frac{-x^2}{\sigma_{x}} \right ]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}exp\left [ \frac{-y^2}{\sigma_{y}} \right ]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}exp\left [ \frac{-z^2}{\sigma_{z}} \right ] [/tex], but I'm not sure if this is right.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

That should be correct.
    The volume (as seen in a 4-dimensional space) extends to +- infinity in all directions, but its height (=function value) drops so quickly that the total volume remains finite.

4. Feb 26, 2013 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hopefully you have a sum in the exp and not a product.

5. Feb 26, 2013 #4
    Yes, that was meant to be a sum, not a product.

How is the volume in 4D space? I had wanted to find the volume in 3D space, which should only requires a double integral. But I was not sure how to account for the density of the function changing in all three directions.

6. Feb 26, 2013 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No: volume in 3d requires a 3-dimensional integral (see any calculus textbook). Anyway, I think the use of the word "volume" is unnecessary and maybe misleading: you just need to compute an integral of some function over some 3-dimensional region. Period.

7. Feb 26, 2013 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You don't find the volume of a function f(x,y,z), you think of it as a mass density and find the total mass by integrating dxdydz.

8. Feb 26, 2013 #7
    That makes much more sense. Thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted