1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volume of generated solid by rotation

1. Sep 23, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the volume of the solid generated where y = 1/x for 1<=x<=5 is rotated about the x axis.

2. Relevant equations

I = r^2 dm, sqrt(1 + (dy/dx)^2) dx,

3. The attempt at a solution

So I have found the length of the curve and can henceforth find surface area and so on but I cannot figure out the step to take to get to volume, I understand that it probably isnt too difficult after the first part, so does anyone knw what the relevant formula is to solve for this, any help much appreciated :) btw solid will b the shape of a spinning top in a way ty :)
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2010 #2
    Hi again Ombudsmand,

The first thing that I notice here is

[tex]I = \int r^2 dm[/tex] which is the definition of the moment of ineteria..

Look this up in the Calculus bible and you will find what you are looking for..
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  4. Sep 23, 2010 #3
    hey :) Is ther really a calculus bible online?? lol but i cant find it in my textbook and all ones i find online are specific to certain shapes but im sure that like the third integral or something like tht hsould do it. I can find the area under the curve then i know i have 2pi degrees of rotation but how to put that into volumetric terms within the given bounds? thanks again for helpin me out
  5. Sep 23, 2010 #4
    Edwards and Penney....

Roting a solid about a fixed axis..

Should be a bell Ring :)
  6. Sep 23, 2010 #5
    hmmm perhaps all i need is (pi) integral of (f(x))^2 dx, ill give it a shot and see what happens
  7. Sep 23, 2010 #6
  8. Sep 23, 2010 #7
    lol! de ja vu frm reading that lol, well i used (pi) integral of (f(x))^2 dx and got the correct answer so all looks well. Thanks heaps again u r really good at helping ppl saved me twice tonite already! have a good one suz :D
  9. Sep 23, 2010 #8
    You are welcome :)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook