Volumes of Solids of Revolution

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
MAC5494
Messages
39
Reaction score
0
Question


I'm really having issues grasping the Volumes of Solids of revolution. I could use some help solving this question, it isn't very hard.

1. Let R be the region bounded by y = x2 and y = x + 2. Find:

a) the area of R

b) the volume of the solid if R is rotated about the x-axis

c) the volume of the solid if R is rotated about the the line x = 4





Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



Basically this is what I've gotten.



a)
Area = ∫((x+2)-(x2))dx
= (x2/2 + 2x) - (x3/3), evaluated over the interval (-1,2)
= 4.5


b) this is what I did but I don't know if it is right

∏∫((x+2)2 - (x2))dx
= ∏∫((x2+4x+4) - x4) dx
= ∏(x5/5 - x3/3 -2x2 -4x) evaluated from (-1,2)
= 72∏/5

c) I'm not sure how to start this one.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
a and b look right. For c, have you learned the shell method for integration?