Vote Now: Polls Open in Eastern USA

• News
  • Thread starter jtbell
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Usa
In summary: United States.In summary, the polls are open in the eastern USA, and many people are voting. Facebook is keeping track of how many people have voted, and they're giving out free ice cream.
LightbulbSun said:
Wow Obama gained serious ground in Kentucky. McCain only leads 51-48% right now.

NBC projects Kentucky a win for McCain based on reporting.

Physics news on Phys.org
turbo-1 said:
Ralph Nader thanks you.
I wonder why he would do a thing like that. I always vote for the candidate that I think will do me the most good. If that pleases one or more of the candidates, then so be it, but I don't do it for their sakes. I do it for my own sake. If you vote on different lines, then I thank you.

Evo<-----wonders if she will have enough chocolate turtles to last the night. :eek:

Evo said:
Evo<-----wonders if she will have enough chocolate turtles to last the night. :eek:
I wish I could email you some York peppermint patties. I'm trying to show restraint, so they are going slowly.

I'm going to open up chat FYI.
https://www.physicsforums.com/chat/flashchat.php

Last edited:
Awesome, thanks Greg!

8:01, MSNBC called PA for Obama, no votes in. They said so far every state they called went the same as in the last election.

Janus said:
Here in Oregon, where we have vote by mail, if you didn't mail your ballot in by Friday, it won't arrive in time to be counted.(they were mailed out on the 17th of Oct.) However, we do have drop off locations where you can hand deliver your ballot until 8:00pm today. I voted early last week.
Did I read that right: everyone in Oregon votes via mail? Why is that?

Astronuc said:
I doubt people making over $250K work 'hard' for it.
I'm not going to discuss the issues in this thread (it's irrelevant now anyway, isn't it?), but I'm saving that one for my avatar.

russ_watters said:
Did I read that right: everyone in Oregon votes via mail? Why is that?

Because it's easy.

Wooohoooo, if Obama got Penn, we are home free!

And CNN just projected that Penn goes Dem.

Can you say President Obama?

Ivan Seeking said:
Because it's easy.
Well, ok. Like I said in the related thread, I think that type of voting is extremely dangerous for security reasons.

What do the ballots look like? MSNBC had a bit on an hour ago about the connect-the-arrows ballot that turbo-1 supports, saying how unreliable they are. People circled them, put Xs in them, dots in them, etc. Lots of people made voting errors in them.

Ivan Seeking said:
And CNN just projected that Penn goes Dem.

Can you say President Obama?
Online, they only show 1% of precincts reporting! It's an awful stretch to award Obama Pennsylvania on those numbers.

Astronuc said:
Online, they only show 1% of precincts reporting! It's an awful stretch to award Obama Pennsylvania on those numbers.

Exit polls, demographics, voting history, critical counties...

russ_watters said:
Well, ok. Like I said in the related thread, I think that type of voting is extremely dangerous for security reasons.

What do the ballots look like? MSNBC had a bit on an hour ago about the connect-the-arrows ballot that turbo-1 supports, saying how unreliable they are. People circled them, put Xs in them, dots in them, etc. Lots of people made voting errors in them.

You fill in the oval just like a college scantron test, and I have never heard a complaint.

You can deliver it to a drop-off site, and I don't see any security problems.

Hagen is projected to win NC, and so ends 50 years of Bush and Dole!

That also bodes very well for Obama in NC.

Astronuc said:
It's not based on those numbers, it is based on exit polls.

Ivan Seeking said:
You can deliver it to a drop-off site, and I don't see any security problems.
How is ID verified?

[edit] Not going to argue in this thread, but I found some pretty severe criticism online. I may start a new thread, but you can find it in the wiki on the subject.

To repeat what I said in the other thread: McCain will now need to win all tossups + CO + NV + NM + VA.

The score, according to CNN: 174 to 49

McCain still up by 3% in IN with 65% reporting, but no votes have come in yet from Lake County.

And McCain's early 10 point lead in VA is now down to 1%. Counting in Fairfax County has only just begun.

Obama's still up by 4% in FL with 50% reporting. Broward and Miami-Dade are noot yet reporting 20% and Obama looks like he might stack up a 1 million vote margin in just those two counties!

Last edited:
Gokul43201 said:
To repeat what I said in the other thread: McCain will now need to win all tossups + CO + NV + NM + VA.

The score, according to CNN: 174 to 49

McCain still up by 3% in IN with 65% reporting, but no votes have come in yet from Lake County.

No way that will happen. With Obama ahead in Florida and Ohio, that's a steep hill to climb.

Ohio is BLUE.

GAME OVER.

well i am sad to say here in georgia we are still firmly in the column of the benighted.

Gokul43201 said:
Ohio is BLUE.

GAME OVER.

Agreed. Obama is defiantly going to win Cali. I can't see McCain making a comeback here.

President Barack Obama...:cry:

i heard there were republican polling officials in pennsylvania? who were found to be challenging only democrats. their credentials were removed.

in georgia there was less reaction to the state's republican officer karen handel challenging more new voters than any other state in the us. perhaps that depressed the turnout.

there were also reports of robocalls to minoruty neighborhoods claiming that anyone with unpaid parking tickets would be arrested at the polls.

why didn't the dems make robocalls to wealthy neighborhoods claiming people who cheated on their tax returns would be busted?

Looks like they are going to have to call Florida for Obama soon.

http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/7555/flowerdancepleaseal7.gif http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/46/typerhappydi6.gif
[PLAIN]http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/228/woohoo7usih7.gif[PLAIN]http://img70.imageshack.us/img70/6785/pyrodancepleaseft2.gif http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/766/cheerdx6.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
http://aroundtampa.info/election/2894923231_f31f285a60.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Fox projects Virginia for Obama.

mathwonk said:
well i am sad to say here in georgia we are still firmly in the column of the benighted.

Don't feel too bad, we have come a very long way. This is a day for celebration!

I'm so happy, so proud. I'm looking at the pictures of the crowd in Chicago - I wish I was there!

...have I mentioned I'm happy and proud...?

Obama now leading in Indiana.