Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wanna buy the moon?

1. Oct 13, 2003 #1

Phobos

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/space/10/13/offbeat.moon.ap/index.html

I got a bad feeling about this.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2003 #2
    I don't think they could do that. The moon is international land..like Antarctica or so I thought.

4. Oct 14, 2003 #3

Nereid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Maybe the laws against false advertising are weaker in Australia :wink:

Reminds me of the shameful, shameful scams run by people 'selling' star names to folk who've lost loved ones, complete with official-looking certificates.

5. Oct 14, 2003 #4

hypnagogue

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

From the article:

6. Oct 14, 2003 #5
    This is outrageous! If this is actually true, why in God's name is extraterrestrial land being sold for so cheap? What nonsense!

7. Oct 14, 2003 #6

Nereid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What the UN giveth, the UN (may) taketh away .... who knows, they may also decide to impose a 150% profits tax, and make it retroactive to 1980 (I'm sure the Australian government would sign up for that, if it could get part of the proceeds)! Perhaps then Hope will emigrate to the Moon.:wink:

8. Oct 14, 2003 #7

Phobos

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

He had better! (if possession is in fact 9/10ths of the law)
    Otherwise, I don't see what claim he has on that land other than pieces of paper here on Earth. Not so easy to evict tenants that live a quarter million miles away and are only accessible through multi-million/billion dollar transportation projects.

9. Oct 15, 2003 #8
    Plots for sale

Theres a high street retail chain in the UK that is offering acre plots of the moon for sale for £20 each (just over $30 US). No mention is made which company it is that they are dealing with in selling these plots:
    http://www.gadgetshop.com/TGS/produ...=0&SESSID=&BRAND=1&S_TYPE=U&AV=F&QB=F&CAMID=0

And its not the only extraterrestrial body with plots 'up for sale' :
    http://www.gadgetshop.com/TGS/produ...=0&SESSID=&BRAND=1&S_TYPE=U&AV=F&QB=F&CAMID=0 (Venus)
    http://www.gadgetshop.com/TGS/produ...=0&SESSID=&BRAND=1&S_TYPE=U&AV=F&QB=F&CAMID=0 (Mars)

But are those buying these plots buying what they are assuming they are buying? [?]

10. Oct 20, 2003 #9

drag

Science Advisor

Re: Plots for sale

Greetings !

Hmm... This is great ! I see prices are up !
    I bought 140 acres about 2 years ago for about
    120 US dollars. BTW, Dennis Hope, as far as I know,
    is very much for real, I hope...
    My great great grandchildren will be pretty rich...

Live long and prosper.

11. Oct 25, 2003 #10
    its so unfair ............, say if some aliens from other planets come to earth and sell our land to its citizen would we like it??? furthermore, aren't our land big enough alr???

12. Oct 26, 2003 #11
    QUIT COMPLAINING AND BUY BUY BUY! BEFORE ALL THE GOOD SPOTS ARE TAKEN!!!! I'M GETTING ONE ON THE VISIBLE SIDE OF THE MOON! :wink:

13. Oct 27, 2003 #12
    Just wondering.......Where do u get to buy the moon????

14. Oct 27, 2003 #13

Phobos

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Re: wanna buy the moon?

According to the U.N., you don't. But the guy mentioned in the article I cited thinks he has found a loophole. Contact him (although I don't recommend it!)

15. Oct 27, 2003 #14
    First comes extraterrestrial land sales. Then comes extraterrestrial land squabbles. Finally, we export war from Earth.

The US Department of Defense has been carving up space for quite some time now.

16. Dec 13, 2003 #15
  17. Dec 15, 2003 #16
    Is there honestly any point in buying land somewhere you will never go? Unless there are some hopefuls out there who plan on living for a very long time, I doubht that anybody who reads this post will live long enough to see people have permanent residence on the moon. If I am wrong, however, I'm interested.

18. Dec 15, 2003 #17
    People seek immortality; instead, they end up with dust.

19. Dec 15, 2003 #18
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?