Mastering Physics: Finding a Project in Southern Ontario

In summary, if you want to do a masters in computational physics, you should consider U.S graduate schools. You should also study for the physics gre and take advanced courses. You may also want to look into NSERC scholarships.
Eats Dirt
I want to do a masters. Currently I am doing my undergrad(4th year) in southern Ontario; my marks in math/physics are around A-. I enjoy quantum and atomic physics and am looking for a project, ideally in computational physics applying it to the former topics. I have emailed some professors, but unfortunately have only gotten a few replies with the advice "apply to the graduate program and see if you get in". I was under the impression that most of the time for graduate work you were supposed to basically already have a professor interested in taking you on before applying to school. Also I only found a few researchers in this area. So basically at this point in time I am at a loss of what to do and a little bit discouraged. Any advice would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey I'm from the U.S so my experience was a little different than yours. During our undergraduate, we are encouraged to get research experience and we apply straight to PhD programs in graduate school ( I am still in the process of applying).

If you are interested in research and possibly getting a PhD, look into U.S graduate schools! The fact that you have an A- average is great! What you will need also is to take the physics gre and general gre. Do you have any research experience at all? Are you interested in experimental or theoretical? Some physics departments will care about research experience because that's what it is very important for PhD. I suggest that you apply for masters in Canada and get some research experience! Study for the physics gre and do well and look into U.S programs!

If you are interested in theoretical take lots of advanced courses, but trust me having experimental background will be great! You will have more options and the skills you develop will always be useful. If you like experimental, then go for that.

*The next physics gre is available in April*

Also University of Waterloo is very well known for its Quantum Computing/Information program. Maybe you'll look into Masters there? IDK about Canadian University ranking ( but I know UBC, Toronto, and Mcgill are top) Waterloo is good in my opinion too.

In Canada the general process is to enter an MSc program after a BSc. Some students complete the MSc program first then proceed into a PhD. Others, with the approval of their supervisory committee, can enter the PhD program about a year into the PhD.

You don't necessarily have to have a professor and a project already lined up when applying to graduate school. It's important that you've talked with people in the program and that you understand work that's currently going on there so that your interested align with the interests that exist in the department. But professors can't agree to take you on if you haven't been admitted to the department.

In Canada students typically spend their first year doing course work and chosing a supervisor and project. The research often doesn't start until the first summer.

One thing that you can, and probably should, do is look into NSERC scholarships. From what I remember, these involve a project proposal and this gives potential supervisors a reason to discuss projects in detail with you. When I was a student I remember filling them out in the fall of the first year as an MSc student, but I think you could do this as a senior undergraduate as well.

What is Mastering Physics?

Mastering Physics is an online platform designed to help students learn and master the principles of physics through interactive exercises, tutorials, and assessments.

What is the purpose of finding a project in Southern Ontario?

The purpose of finding a project in Southern Ontario is to provide students with the opportunity to apply their knowledge and skills in a real-world setting, while also gaining valuable experience and making connections in the field of physics.

What types of projects are available in Southern Ontario?

There are a variety of projects available in Southern Ontario, ranging from research projects at universities and laboratories to internships at companies and organizations. These projects may involve experimental, theoretical, or computational work in various areas of physics.

How can I find a project in Southern Ontario through Mastering Physics?

To find a project in Southern Ontario through Mastering Physics, you can browse the available opportunities on the platform's website and apply directly to the ones that interest you. You can also reach out to your professors or academic advisors for recommendations or networking opportunities.

What are the benefits of participating in a project in Southern Ontario?

Participating in a project in Southern Ontario can provide you with hands-on experience in the field of physics, help you develop important skills such as critical thinking and problem-solving, and give you the opportunity to network with professionals in the industry. It can also enhance your resume and make you a more competitive candidate for future academic or career opportunities.