1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Want to make sure I got the basics of voltage drops

1. Sep 18, 2015 #1
    In my head, I'm using (delta)(gravitational potential energy) as an analogy to the (delta)(electrical potential energy). So, with a DC circuit with loads connected in series, we can observe a voltage drop across each load. Now, because the current remains the same throughout, it must mean that the difference in potential energy is not accounted for in kinetic energy (as you would typically think of with gravity) but some other forms of energy, because if it was kinetic energy, we should see current increasing as these voltage drops occur (yes? Faster electrons means more charge/s going through a cross-sectional area?). But then, I'm thinking, I don't think this energy is converted into heat or light or some other form of energy enough to account for the voltage drops. So is it to speed up the electrons back to their average speed after they slow down facing the load? This would mean that potential energy IS converted into kinetic energy, and that would now account for the voltage drop.

So, how much did my noob self mess up there people?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2015 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

... and, what are you "dropping" through the various del(gh)? Marbles? A stream of water? As an analog of current. Help any?

4. Sep 18, 2015 #3
    Why do you think this?

5. Sep 18, 2015 #4
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook