Want to study meterology after AS from comm. college

• Schools
  • Thread starter LightbulbSun
  • Start date
  • Tags
    College Study
In summary, the speaker is reentering college and is currently pursuing an associates degree in science. Their main goal is to get into meteorology and they are seeking advice on what path to take and if there are any other science fields they should study alongside it. The suggested fields include physics, astrophysics, astronomy, and earth science/geology. The speaker is also encouraged to search for meteorology programs as they may not be widely available.
LightbulbSun
Hi, I'm reentering my first year of college at a community college and I'm currently getting an associates degree in science. However, my main goal is to get into meterology so I was wondering what kind of path I should be taking in college and if there are any other science fields that I should be studying up on on the side. Besides astronomy, meterology is probably my favorite scientific field so please help! haha

Physics news on Phys.org
You have the right idea. Push it farther. Try educational goals toward any of Physics, Astrophysics, Astronomy, Earth Science/Geology. A few colleges may have Meteorology programs - they are probably not very common. Maybe you could be interested in searching for a meteorology program.

That's great to hear that you have a passion for meteorology! I would recommend that you focus on taking courses related to meteorology, such as atmospheric science, climatology, and weather analysis. It would also be beneficial to take courses in physics, math, and computer science, as these subjects are important in understanding the principles of meteorology and analyzing weather data.

Additionally, I would suggest getting involved in extracurricular activities related to meteorology, such as joining a weather club or participating in weather forecasting competitions. This will not only enhance your knowledge and skills in the field, but also show your dedication and passion to potential graduate schools or employers.

In terms of other science fields that may be beneficial to study, geology and oceanography are closely related to meteorology and can provide a deeper understanding of weather patterns and systems. Environmental science and ecology can also be useful in understanding the impact of weather on ecosystems and climate change.

Overall, my advice would be to focus on meteorology as your main area of study, but also explore related fields to gain a well-rounded understanding of the subject. Good luck on your academic journey!

What is meteorology?

Meteorology is the scientific study of the Earth's atmosphere, weather, and climate. It involves the observation and analysis of atmospheric conditions and processes, as well as the use of mathematical and physical models to make predictions about future weather patterns.

What skills are needed to study meteorology?

To study meteorology, you will need a strong background in mathematics, physics, and computer science. Good observational and analytical skills are also important, as well as a curiosity about the natural world and a passion for understanding weather patterns and phenomena.

What kind of career opportunities are available in meteorology?

There are a variety of career opportunities in meteorology, including weather forecasting, climate research, air quality analysis, and environmental consulting. Many meteorologists also work in government agencies, such as the National Weather Service, or in the private sector for companies that require weather-related information for their operations.

What are the benefits of studying meteorology after AS from a community college?

Studying meteorology after AS from a community college can provide a more affordable and accessible path to a career in this field. Community colleges often offer smaller class sizes and more personalized instruction, allowing students to build a strong foundation in the core subjects needed for meteorology. Additionally, many community colleges have partnerships with four-year universities, making it easier to transfer credits and continue your education in meteorology.

Are there any specific courses or programs to take in community college for meteorology?

While there are no specific courses required for meteorology in community college, it is recommended to take classes in mathematics, physics, and computer science. Other beneficial courses may include atmospheric science, physical geography, and statistics. It is also important to work closely with an academic advisor to ensure that you are taking the necessary courses to transfer to a four-year university for a bachelor's degree in meteorology.