Wanted to designed a 5k Watt Wind Turbine

In summary, the speaker is new to a physics forum and seeking help designing a Vertical Axis wind turbine to power their home 24 hours a day. They have questions about connecting their appliances, the need for a battery, and the availability of a gearbox with variable input and constant output. Another member advises them to be realistic about their expectations and consider purchasing a turbine instead of designing one. They also warn against poorly sized turbines that may not produce any power.
shahrukhzafar
Hi everyone!
I am new in physics forum and this is my first post.
I need help from the people out there.

I wanted to deisgn a Vertical Axis wind turbine to produce 5k Watt output with a frequecy of

50Hz, 220VAC, to completely run my home appliance 24 hours. Appliances include:
-1.5ton AC
-Refrigerator
-Iron
-T.V
-Computer
-Laptop
-4 ceiling fans
-14 energy saver
-2 bulb of 100watt

What things I needed?
I also have some questions regarding this project in my mind.
-Can I directly connect my appliance with alternator, because alternator generate AC output?
-Is battery needed for this project?
-Is there any gearbox available with variable input and constant output?
Hoping a favourable reply soon...

Engineering news on Phys.org
Averagesupernova thanks for reply, but nothing interested I found on that website.

Last edited:
shahrukhzafar said:
Hi everyone!
I am new in physics forum and this is my first post.
I need help from the people out there.

I wanted to deisgn a Vertical Axis wind turbine to produce 5k Watt output with a frequecy of

50Hz, 220VAC, to completely run my home appliance 24 hours.

Highly ambitious. What happens when it's not blowing then? Before you start looking into this, be realisitic. You aren't going to get 5kV all the time and you certainly aren't going to get 24hours worth.

I'm all for doing stuff yourself rather than paying someone, but if you are serious about this,
don't design one, buy one. It'll be just as expensive but would acutally have a chance of working.

The amount of people that haven't thought about it and stuck a poorly sized turbine on their house only to have it produce no power, beggars belief.

1. How does a wind turbine generate electricity?

A wind turbine uses the power of the wind to rotate its blades, which in turn spins a shaft connected to a generator. The rotation of the generator creates electricity that can be used to power homes and businesses.

2. What factors affect the efficiency of a wind turbine?

The efficiency of a wind turbine is affected by several factors, including wind speed, air density, blade design, and turbine size. Higher wind speeds and lower air density can result in increased efficiency, while poor blade design and smaller turbine size can decrease efficiency.

3. How much power can a 5k Watt wind turbine produce?

A 5k Watt wind turbine can produce up to 5,000 watts of power in optimal wind conditions. However, the actual power output may vary depending on the wind speed and other factors.

4. Can a wind turbine be used to power a home or business?

Yes, a wind turbine can be used to power a home or business. However, the suitability of a wind turbine for a specific location depends on factors such as wind resources, zoning regulations, and available space.

5. How does a wind turbine impact the environment?

Wind turbines have a relatively low environmental impact compared to other energy sources. They do not produce air or water pollution and do not emit greenhouse gases. However, they may pose a threat to birds and bats if not properly sited.