Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wanted to designed a 5k Watt Wind Turbine

1. Jul 29, 2011 #1
    Hi everyone!
    I am new in physics forum and this is my first post.
    I need help from the people out there.

I wanted to deisgn a Vertical Axis wind turbine to produce 5k Watt output with a frequecy of

50Hz, 220VAC, to completely run my home appliance 24 hours. Appliances include:
    -1.5ton AC
    -Refrigerator
    -Iron
    -T.V
    -Computer
    -Laptop
    -4 ceiling fans
    -14 energy saver
    -2 bulb of 100watt

What things I needed?
    I also have some questions regarding this project in my mind.
    -Can I directly connect my appliance with alternator, because alternator generate AC output?
    -Is battery needed for this project?
    -Is there any gearbox available with variable input and constant output?
    Hoping a favourable reply soon...

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 30, 2011 #2

Averagesupernova

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Jul 31, 2011 #3
    Averagesupernova thanks for reply, but nothing interested I found on that website.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  5. Jul 31, 2011 #4
    Highly ambitious. What happens when it's not blowing then? Before you start looking into this, be realisitic. You aren't going to get 5kV all the time and you certainly aren't going to get 24hours worth.

I'm all for doing stuff yourself rather than paying someone, but if you are serious about this,
    don't design one, buy one. It'll be just as expensive but would acutally have a chance of working.

The amount of people that haven't thought about it and stuck a poorly sized turbine on their house only to have it produce no power, beggars belief.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook