Solar Updraft Tower turbine design

In summary, the conversation is about designing a turbine for a small scale solar updraft tower that produces 1-3 m/s of air flow in a 0.3m diameter tower. The speaker is looking for resources and tips on designing the turbine fan and suggests researching regular horizontal wind generators as they use similar formulae and engineering principles.
Lukeiy
I'm attempting to design a turbine for a small scale solar updraft tower. It produces between 1-3 m/s of air flow in a 0.3m diameter tower. I'm in need of resources that can guide me on designing the turbine fan. I've already got the Wind Energy Handbook, however I'm not even sure if following the HAWT design theories is appropriate for these flow characteristics.

I'm looking for resources I can go to to aid my design, or any tips on what type of fan I should be aiming for.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi, Lukeiy. I can't be of any help in the way that you're asking, but I'm wondering if you might have more luck just researching regular horizontal wind generators (not the huge ones, of course). They should use the same formulae and engineering principles as the vertical one that you want to make.

1. What is a Solar Updraft Tower?

A Solar Updraft Tower (SUT) is a type of renewable energy technology that uses the sun's heat to generate electricity. It consists of a large greenhouse-like structure with a tall chimney in the center. As the sun heats the air inside the greenhouse, it rises and creates a draft that drives turbines located at the base of the tower, generating electricity.

2. How does the turbine design of a Solar Updraft Tower work?

The turbine design of a Solar Updraft Tower is based on the principle of convection, where hot air rises and cool air sinks. The tower creates a convection current by trapping hot air inside the greenhouse and channeling it up the chimney, which turns the turbines at the base. The turbines are connected to a generator, converting the kinetic energy into electrical energy.

3. What are the main components of a Solar Updraft Tower turbine?

The main components of a Solar Updraft Tower turbine include the greenhouse structure, chimney, turbines, generator, and power transmission system. The greenhouse is designed to trap the sun's heat and create the convection current, while the chimney is responsible for channeling the hot air. The turbines and generator work together to convert the kinetic energy into electrical energy, which is then transmitted to the grid.

4. What are the advantages of using Solar Updraft Tower turbine design?

One of the main advantages of the Solar Updraft Tower turbine design is that it is a renewable energy source, utilizing the sun's heat to generate electricity. It is also a clean energy source, producing no greenhouse gas emissions. Additionally, it has a low environmental impact and can be built in various locations, making it a versatile energy option.

5. What are the limitations of Solar Updraft Tower turbine design?

While the Solar Updraft Tower turbine design has many benefits, it also has some limitations. One of them is that it requires a large amount of land to build the greenhouse structure and chimney. It also needs to be built in areas with high solar radiation and consistent wind patterns. The initial cost of construction can also be high, but it is expected to decrease as the technology advances.