Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Was Einstein Schiz ?

1. Apr 8, 2004 #1

xck

I hope this is being placed in the right forum. I am still getting acquainted with PF.

The "no dice" post in quantum got me thinking...was Einstein schizoaffective ?

I know very little about him other than his brain size was different...i think. Does anyone know how?

When I think to much, my brain, is a worthless piece of machinery -- it is my servant, not my master. (almost d.y.)

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2004 #2
    Einstein was not schizoaffective (I am). Without the medications we have nowadays, he would most likely be rendered ineffective as a profound thinker - with them only mediocre - and I most likely would be dead. (See Schizoaffective Disorder).

Any romantic notions gleaned from the early success of John Nash in A Beautiful Mind should be offset by the terrible trauma that followed his 20's (when the disease had not yet manifested) and still hamstrings him to this day. I would like to include Prof. Einstein in my company, but this combination thought/mood disorder has caused millions before our fortunate generation to take their own lives or exist in an earthly Purgatory, not become genius.

If you wonder whether new physics can be achieved with this illness, I invite you to view my website, http://www.quantumdream.net.

4. Apr 8, 2004 #3
    I'm trying to write a paper about Einstein and I need to know some of his contributions to mathematics, not science. Any help you could provide would be absolutely fantastic! Thanks!

5. Apr 8, 2004 #4
    einstein summation:
    http://mathworld.wolfram.com/EinsteinSummation.html

6. Apr 10, 2004 #5

xck

Loren, well heck, maybe he was a manic (I AM).

A good friend of mine is schiz and he is in that "earthly pergatory" you referred to in your host. He was a genius.

When I first asked him what schizoaffective was, he said, "It's a dash of bipolar mixed in with schizophrenia because they don't know what it is." That response was followed with a ... knowing that its onset for him was after he was pronounced "dead" in Arizona years ago after a motorcycle accident. I love him. He has been a wonderful teacher.

As far as mania, oh boy, we have a whole cast of characters in our arena. Churchill, Lincoln (they say hmm), T. Roosevelt, Cobain, Mitchell, too many to list. They are a lively bunch.

Without my medications I arrive at conclusions I never could. It has been a blessing for me after all.

7. Apr 11, 2004 #6
    Read the Internet

You don't need to post on a message board to find the answer to this. Don't be lazy. Use Wikipedia. If you don't know where Wikipedia is, find it using Google. Google is a wonderful resource. So is Wikipedia.

8. Apr 12, 2004 #7

xck

what is ... is

dgorman, if no one posted on this website, and if we all used wikipedioa or google...seems to me this website would not exist.

this is my contribution to this website's existence >wink<

When I think to much, my brain, is a worthless piece of machinery -- it is my servant, not my master. (almost d.y.)

9. Apr 12, 2004 #8
    I'm psycho and I'm better then him and Newton together!
    :smile:

10. Apr 12, 2004 #9

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Einstein was NOT a mathemtician. His main contribution to mathematics was finding an applicaition for Riemann's work in geometry. The core of differential geometery was sitting on a dusty shelf, seen as sort of interesting, but not very useful. Einstein's work changed that.

11. Apr 12, 2004 #10
    xck:

What was it that made you wonder if Einstein was schizoaffective?

I have read the strange claim that he was a high functioning autisic, once, but have never run into anyone who saw anything schizoaffective about him.

12. Apr 12, 2004 #11

Evo

Staff: Mentor

One of Einstein's sons was institutionalized at age (15?) for schizophrenia.

13. Apr 12, 2004 #12
    I wonder what his symptoms were.

14. Apr 12, 2004 #13

Evo

I can't remember if they listed them, apparently it was very severe, I don't think he was ever released. I have it in a book about Einstein, I'll see if I can find anything.

Einstein had a pretty sad life. I was surprised at all that had happened with his first wife and kids.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2004
  15. Apr 12, 2004 #14
    Thanks, but don't go to too much trouble. I'm just curious because they classified things much differently back then. Today he might have been given a different dx depending on what his actual symptoms were.

16. Apr 12, 2004 #15

Evo

I remember he would become uncontrollably violent.

17. Apr 12, 2004 #16
    i dont care!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. Apr 12, 2004 #17
    That wouldn't be called schizophrenia nowadays unless he became violent because he thought people were out to get him. They have a dx now called, I think, "rage disorder" which is believed to be related to tourettes'. There is also a complex partial seizure with rage as an aura during which the person will attack whatever is in the vicinity. (I know about one guy who began wrestling with a toilet, and another who attacked a paper towel dispenser, although there have been cases where the nearest person was attacked.) I wonder if Einstein's son had delusions that other people were out to get him, or if he just experienced surges of rage with no particular cause.

19. Apr 12, 2004 #18

Evo

I'm not sure about the specifics, a lot of illnesses were misdiagnosed in those days.

I used to work with a guy that had Tourette's, but instead of obscenities, he would bark like a seal. I would hear him on the phone speaking with a client and start barking really loud. What was worse was when we would go out to see the client and he'd start barking in their office. He was a super nice guy, I felt so sorry for him, he was too embarrassed to tell the client he had Tourette's so he would pretend to have severe hiccups. The client would be terrified, he was really loud and he did sound just like a seal.

20. Apr 12, 2004 #19
    There used to be a woman who worked at a McDonalds where I sed to hang out with friends back in the 80s (when you could still smoke inside and all refills on coffee were free), who made an extremely irritating pig noise at the back of her mouth as she went through the restaurant wiping the tables. I had never heard of Tourettes' at the time and believed she was doing it as a comment on the state people left their tables in.

I think that with Tourettes' it is much better to explain it to people than to try and pass it off as something else, because there is too much chance the other person can feel they're being mocked.

21. Apr 12, 2004 #20
    I heard that Einstein and his first wife had to put their child up for adoption, for monetary reasons.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?