Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Watch LHC Operation in realtime

1. Sep 9, 2010 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2010 #2
    Currently on fill 1325 running an injection probe at 3 Tev.
    BTW: It's great to get realtime status. No more searching the news for snippets of LHC progress. Just watch it happen. Anyone else find this helpful?
  4. Sep 10, 2010 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I don't want to damper the enthusiasm here, but you DO know that this is simply the accelerator operations, ya? Practically ALL of the physics involved in the LHC are done at the various detectors (ATLAS, CMS, ALICE, etc.), not at the accelerator ops.

5. Sep 10, 2010 #4
    Of course! These are machine ops. But heck, I remember sitting in control rooms many a night totally dependent on the machine team for decent beam and a decent physics run. I have a lot of respect for these guys. Accelerator physics is not particle physics for sure, but it's still dang complex.
  6. Sep 27, 2010 #5
    Right now the energy is at 7864 GeV http://lhc.web.cern.ch/lhc/, can you tell me if I'm misreading this or this is for 2 beams not one.
    It just changed but if you care to answer please go ahead.
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
  7. Sep 28, 2010 #6
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook