Calculating Force of a 600ml Bottle Underwater

• Thread starter bobcat19
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Water
In summary, the conversation discussed the concept of displacement in relation to a bottle of Pepsi in a pool. The upward buoyant force exerted by the water on the bottle is equal to the weight of the displaced water, according to Archimedes's principle. When the bottle is filled with sand, it will still displace the same amount of water but will sink due to the weight of the bottle and its contents being greater than the buoyant force. The weight of the bottle will be less when weighed underwater due to the weight of the displaced water.
bobcat19
well today we were in the pool together and i had just finished a drink that id had(bottle of pepsi) and somehow we got talking about displacement, see what i want to know is how much force is that 600ml bottle is creating when its under then water(remembering that its empty)

i don't know anything about physics so nice simple terms would be nice but don't worry to much cause I am sure i can work it out

any help much appreciated

Alex

Physics news on Phys.org
The upward buoyant force that the water exerts on the bottle is equal to the weight of the displaced water. (That's Archimedes's principle.)

ok so because its about 600 cubic centimetres it should be exerting 600 grams or something like that.

Sounds right.

but hang on, what if the bottle was filled with sand, it would still displace the same amount of water but of course it would sink. how does that work?

bobcat19 said:
but hang on, what if the bottle was filled with sand, it would still displace the same amount of water but of course it would sink. how does that work?
The buoyant force that the water exerts on the bottle will be the same, but that's not the only force acting on the bottle. You must also consider the weight of the bottle (and contents), which acts downward. When filled with sand, the weight will be greater than the buoyant force and the bottle will sink.

ok i get it. thanks you've helped me a lot :)

Anytime the density of the contents is greater than the density of water, the bottle will sink...but if weighed underwater it weighs less than on land by the weight of water displaced.

bobcat19 said:
ok so because its about 600 cubic centimetres it should be exerting 600 grams or something like that.
Well, no. 600g dynes, the force of gravity on a mass of 600 grams.

600 grams weighs about 5.89 Newtons or 5.89 x 105 dynes.

1. What is the principle behind water displacement?

The principle behind water displacement is Archimedes' principle, which states that the buoyant force on an object submerged in a fluid is equal to the weight of the fluid displaced by the object.

2. How do you measure water displacement?

To measure water displacement, you can fill a graduated cylinder or a beaker with a known amount of water, then carefully submerge the object you want to measure. The change in water level is equal to the volume of the object.

3. What is the formula for calculating water displacement?

The formula for calculating water displacement is V = Vf - Vi, where V is the volume of the object, Vf is the final volume of water after the object is submerged, and Vi is the initial volume of water before the object is submerged.

4. What are some real-life examples of water displacement?

Some real-life examples of water displacement include measuring the volume of irregularly shaped objects, determining the volume of a liquid in a container, and understanding how ships float in the ocean.

5. What are the practical applications of water displacement in science?

Water displacement is used in a variety of scientific fields, such as chemistry, biology, and engineering. It is commonly used to measure the volume of solids and liquids, determine the density of materials, and understand the buoyant force acting on objects in fluids.