Can You Make a Telescope Using Water Drops?

In summary, a telescope using water drops may be possible, but would require some ingenuity to construct.
SAZAR
Is it posible to make a telescope using water drops?

(water drops are to be on transparent plastic or glass, set at desired distance; convex lense is a free drop, concave is a water drop in a ring (because of surface tension))

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the first microscopes were basically small spherical glass beads acting as magnifying glasses and although the image quality must have been really poor several important discoveries were made with these glasses.Evaporation is the biggest problem I see with water droplets.Perhaps you could use a non volatile liquid.Good luck with it.

You may find it interesting to google "Leeuwenhoek"

Last edited:
google is your friend:

http://bizarrelabs.com/micro.htm

Andy Resnick said:
google is your friend:

http://bizarrelabs.com/micro.htm

My idea was to stack elements with water drops to obtain greater magnification. (not just one water-lens (what... just x2 magnification))

I cut some transparent plastic (some food container; the shape of pieces was irregular - it doesn't mater) and placed water droplets on them but I couldn't find a focus for let alone a combination of just two of them.

I see that microscopes use only convex lenses (http://web.uvic.ca/ail/techniques/scope%20light%20path.jpg ) - which is nice for this experiment.

I would really like if someone with experience in optics could figure out the construction for this...

To help: the whole apparatus could be made using only cardboard and transparent plastic!
That's exactly the point of this all - ordinary objects one could find practically anywhere
Cut slits on two small cardboard rectangles and place them upright parallel to each other - they would hold transparent plastic pieces in place (stuck into slits) at preset distances according to optic properties of water.

It doesn't mater that water evaporates - if it can magnify, say, x200 for one minute that's enough.

...Circles could be drawn or etched in plastic so you can easily repeat "construction of lenses" i.e. water drops - drops would be bigger or smaller according to needs to suffice optical construction for desired magnification (200x ...even 600x :D wow!) using water as lens material...

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, some time has passed - did someone try to figure out geometry to make say 300x magnification with multiple water drops "optical system" (lol)?

(By the way - does it mater how light rays enter eye - I mean - do they have to be parallel or can they by like focusing/diverging and you still see everything sharp (I mean - I guess there is a limit to what eye lens can sharpen-up...))

1. Can water drops effectively magnify objects like a traditional telescope?

Yes, water drops can act as a lens and effectively magnify objects. The curved surface of the water drop can refract light, bending it towards a focal point and creating a magnified image.

2. What materials are needed to make a telescope using water drops?

The only materials needed are a container of water, a clean glass surface, and a light source. The water should be relatively clear and free of particles for optimal magnification.

3. How large of an image can be magnified with a water drop telescope?

The magnification of the image will depend on the size and curvature of the water drop, as well as the distance between the drop and the object being viewed. Generally, a water drop telescope can magnify objects up to 10 times their original size.

4. Is a water drop telescope suitable for astronomical observations?

While a water drop telescope can magnify objects, it is not suitable for astronomical observations. The magnification is not strong enough to view distant objects in space, and the image quality is not as clear as a traditional telescope.

5. Can a water drop telescope be used to view objects during the day and at night?

Yes, a water drop telescope can be used during both day and night. However, the image quality may be affected by external lighting conditions and may be clearer during the night when there is less ambient light.