Water Jet Impact Force Calculator

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the impact pressure and force of water jets in a water circulation system. It is suggested to measure the mass flow rate and consider the height and area of the hole to determine the force. However, the presence of air in the container complicates the measurement and it is recommended to use a force transducer. The person inquiring is looking for a simpler and more cost-effective way to measure the impact force. Various suggestions are provided, including using a balance, spring, or water-wheel to improvise a measurement. It is also noted that the weight of the water in the upper container may also be a significant factor in determining the total force.
Betty Walton
Hi,

I've got this water circulation system. Diagram attached:

http://postimg.org/image/wmf2hql6p/

In the upper container jets of water come out from the pipe due to the small holes I have drilled into the sides. I would like to know how I can work out the impact pressure on surfaces that may be struck by these jets. What do I need to calculate this?

Physics news on Phys.org
You need the mass flow rate - force is the change in momentum over change in time.

Simon Bridge said:
You need the mass flow rate - force is the change in momentum over change in time.

Okay, I will go and measure the mass flow rate. When I know this, what else do I need to work out impact force and how it varies with distance?

I believe you need to know the following
A the height of the surface above the hole. In your case you can consider it as distance between the top and the position of the hole.
B the area of the hole.
A would give you the pressure
B would give you the area
Multiplying you will get the force.
Remember the hole must be small enough to consider uniform pressure

Well, in the diagram there is a pump - so that will maintain a head pressure.
The jets will roughly follow a ballistic arc (in the absence of air resistance ... i.e. if the setup is small) ... looking at it, you'd probably be better measuring the impact rather than calculating it. What is it you need the impact force for?

Your main complication is that their is air in the container - this breaks the jets up so the impacts are lots of droplets. This could be modeled as a series of random small impulses and you take the time average to get a force. It gets arbitrarily complicated.

Simon Bridge said:
The jets will roughly follow a ballistic arc (in the absence of air resistance ... i.e. if the setup is small) ... looking at it, you'd probably be better measuring the impact rather than calculating it. What is it you need the impact force for?

Your main complication is that their is air in the container - this breaks the jets up so the impacts are lots of droplets. This could be modeled as a series of random small impulses and you take the time average to get a force. It gets arbitrarily complicated.

Thanks for your reply :)

What would be the best way of 'measuring' the impact? I am wanting to investigate cleaning effectiveness at various impacts.

Simon Bridge said:

Anybody know the simplest way of measuring impact for my application?

The measurement would normally be done these days with a force transducer.

Simon Bridge said:
The measurement would normally be done these days with a force transducer.

I've had a look online and they are rather expensive considering I only really need to do a couple of measurements. I literally need it for one day and then I will never need it again. Can you think of a way of doing this, other than buying one and returning one immediately after?

Basically you have to put something in the way of the jet that responds in a known way to a force acting on it ... a balance of some kind should do the trick: I used to do this sort of thing by directing a flow onto a parallel beam balance though that was splashy and not in a good way. There's lots of other things that could tell you force - a spring? A water-wheel that lifts a weight (power-work-energy theorem) etc. Use your understanding of the physics of force to help you improvise.

Note: If all you care about is the total force resulting from all the jets impacting the floor of the upper container, then probably the weight of the water in that container would end up more important more quickly ... it's down to what you need the measurement to tell you.

1. What is a water jet impact force calculator?

A water jet impact force calculator is a tool used to determine the force of impact generated by a water jet. It takes into account variables such as water pressure, flow rate, and the size and shape of the water jet to calculate the force of impact on a target.

2. How does a water jet impact force calculator work?

A water jet impact force calculator uses mathematical formulas and equations to calculate the force of impact. It takes input values such as water pressure, flow rate, and nozzle size and shape, and uses them in the equations to determine the force of impact on a target.

3. What are the applications of a water jet impact force calculator?

A water jet impact force calculator can be used in various industries such as manufacturing, construction, and aerospace to determine the force of impact on different materials and structures. It can also be used in research and development to test the strength and durability of materials.

4. How accurate is a water jet impact force calculator?

The accuracy of a water jet impact force calculator depends on the input values and the equations used in the calculations. With precise input values and accurate equations, the calculator can provide a fairly accurate estimation of the force of impact.

5. Can a water jet impact force calculator be used for all types of water jets?

No, a water jet impact force calculator may not be suitable for all types of water jets. It is designed for conventional water jets with a single nozzle and may not be accurate for specialized water jets such as abrasive jets or pulsating jets. It is best to consult the manufacturer or developer for the appropriate calculator for a specific type of water jet.