Water, salt and a green Jello electret....

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of electrets and how they are made using dielectric material. The idea of using Jell-O as an electret is mentioned, but the color is deemed irrelevant and it may not yield a lasting result. The possibility of using salt water in the experiment is brought up, along with the suggestion of testing on a smaller scale before attempting it in a larger container.
vis viva
I'm asking the question because I'm interested in learning more about how ionic compounds behave in and around electric fields. I'm not actually going to make the proposed electret. The color of the Jello is irrelevant, and Jello may not yield an everlasting electrect, so it's more about the principle itself.

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like an electret is made using dielectric (basically non-conducting) material. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electret

I think the salt water might still conduct after the Jell-O has congealed. This would be something interesting to test. Why a fish tank? How about try a smaller scale container first?

Likes vis viva
scottdave said:
It looks like an electret is made using dielectric (basically non-conducting) material.

I'd say 'some' elecrects are made of dielectric material.

scottdave said:
I think the salt water might still conduct after the Jell-O has congealed.

'congealed' - Yes! that's the correct term, I was looking for that word, thank you.

Yes it probably would, but at the moment it doesn't matter as long as a dipole is formed, that would be the first success criteria.

scottdave said:
This would be something interesting to test. Why a fish tank? How about try a smaller scale container first?

Because it was funny (at the time of writing) to imagine a 300L green wobbly salty electret on my desk. But yes obviously any container would do as long as it can withstand the electric field.

1. What is a green Jello electret?

A green Jello electret is a type of electret that is made by mixing green Jello powder with water and salt. This mixture creates a material that has a permanent electric charge, making it useful for various scientific experiments and applications.

2. How does the addition of salt affect the properties of the green Jello electret?

The addition of salt to the green Jello mixture helps to increase the conductivity of the electret, making it easier for electric charges to flow through it. This allows the electret to hold its charge for a longer period of time and makes it more stable.

3. What is the role of water in creating a green Jello electret?

Water is a key ingredient in creating a green Jello electret as it helps to dissolve the Jello powder and salt and create a homogenous mixture. It also helps to form the gel-like structure of the electret, which is essential for holding the electric charge.

4. Can a green Jello electret be used for practical purposes?

Yes, a green Jello electret can be used for various practical purposes such as generating electricity, detecting radiation, and filtering contaminants from water. It is also commonly used in educational settings to demonstrate the principles of electricity and conductivity.

5. How long does a green Jello electret hold its charge?

The duration of the electric charge held by a green Jello electret can vary depending on factors such as temperature, humidity, and the amount of salt used. However, on average, it can hold its charge for several hours to a few days.