Help with a control system for a hydroelectric tank

In summary, the conversation discusses a tank system with input and output volumetric flow controlled by the height of water in the tank. The goal is to find a transfer function for the system, but the complexity of the square root aspect of the function presents a challenge. The idea of linearizing the square root about a point is suggested as a potential solution. The use of a bang-bang sensor and actuator is also proposed as a simpler alternative. It is unclear if this is a homework question, which would need to be transferred to the Homework Help forums.
hdp12
TL;DR Summary
Need help with finding a transfer function and subsequent equations for a hydroelectric tank I am trying to control with a control system.
Hello there, please help if you are able..

So we have a tank with input volumetric flow and output volumetric flow
The system is controlled by the height of water in the tank

h(t) = hdes + (√h(t))*(-A2*(√2g) / A1) - h'(t)

I am trying to find a transfer function for this system but I do not know what to do with the square root aspect of the function. There is no viable laplace transform for it and I don't know what to do

I would be extremely grateful if someone with more knowledge in this subject could help me,
Thank you

Engineering news on Phys.org
Transfer functions are for linear systems. Linearize the square root about a point. Now you can make a transfer function valid for small perturbations around that point.

Likes berkeman
hdp12 said:
So we have a tank with input volumetric flow and output volumetric flow
The system is controlled by the height of water in the tank

h(t) = hdes + (√h(t))*(-A2*(√2g) / A1) - h'(t)
How did you come up with this h(t) function? Is it based on your sensor and actuator? It seems a bit complicated to me. Why not use a bang-bang sensor and actuator to control the fluid height in the tank?

berkeman said:
How did you come up with this h(t) function? Is it based on your sensor and actuator? It seems a bit complicated to me. Why not use a bang-bang sensor and actuator to control the fluid height in the tank?
Wait, is this a homework question? If so, we need to transfer this thread to the Homework Help forums...

1. How does a control system for a hydroelectric tank work?

A control system for a hydroelectric tank works by monitoring and regulating the flow of water from the tank to the turbine. It uses sensors to measure the water level and flow rate, and then sends signals to open or close valves to maintain a constant water level in the tank.

2. What are the components of a control system for a hydroelectric tank?

The main components of a control system for a hydroelectric tank include sensors, actuators, controllers, and a human-machine interface. Sensors measure the water level and flow rate, actuators open or close valves, controllers process the sensor data and send signals to the actuators, and the human-machine interface allows for manual control and monitoring of the system.

3. How is the water level in a hydroelectric tank controlled?

The water level in a hydroelectric tank is controlled by a combination of sensors and actuators. The sensors measure the water level and send signals to the controller, which then sends signals to the actuators to open or close valves to maintain a constant water level.

4. What are the benefits of using a control system for a hydroelectric tank?

Using a control system for a hydroelectric tank allows for more efficient and reliable operation of the hydroelectric power plant. It can help maintain a constant water level, optimize power generation, and prevent potential damage to the system.

5. How is the control system for a hydroelectric tank maintained?

The control system for a hydroelectric tank should be regularly maintained by trained professionals. This includes checking and calibrating the sensors, inspecting and repairing any faulty components, and updating the software as needed. It is important to follow manufacturer's guidelines and conduct routine maintenance to ensure the system operates effectively.