Water temperature increase in tank with steam

In summary, the water must be heated to 212 deg from 70 deg in 68 sq ft of heat transfer surface using 25 PSIG of steam. The boiler size is not necessary to determine this. The water will take around 8 hours to reach 212 deg.
rAuben
Hello Everyone,

I have been asked to find out what it takes to bring 775 gallons of water at 70 deg (room temperature) to a rolling boil (approx 212 deg) via 25psig steam.

I have 68 square feet of heat transfer surface (stainless steel tank) with no agitation.

I haven't been successful finding a formula that can work this out, is there anyone out there that can help?

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
You are missing some info. Do you want to find out how fast, how much steam you need, etc?

Ah yes, I knew I had forgotten something - but when the girlfriend yells at you...

I need to find out how long it takes to heat the water up to 212 deg from the 70 deg.

68 square feet is a lot of surface area - how much steam (flow rate) is available? Is this the only thing on the steam system? If so, what is the boiler size?

25 PSIG is the only heating point in the system.

It is basically the same as heating water through a kettle. Looking through a steam table, the steam will have a temp of 267 deg at 25 PSIG.

25 psi is not a capacity. What is the boiler capacity in Btu or the pipe size?

The pipe size is 1 1/2"

I do not think the boiler size is required to determine this

You need a capacity of steam. lb/hr.

It is if the boiler can't supply the required flow!

But anyway, with our still limited information, we still have to assume:

1. Boiler sizing is not an issue.
2. Heat exchanger pressure drop is not an issue.

Other assumptions, probably not critical:
3. Heat exchanger area is sufficient for transferring as much heat as we can throw at it.
4. Natural convection will sufficiently mix the water in the tank (apparently not critical since you are trying to boil it anyway).

Spirax Sarco has a steam pipe sizing calculator on their site: http://www.spiraxsarco.com/resources/calculators/pipes/sizing-new-pipes.asp

Typically, a steam pipe is sized for around 7500 fpm velocity. The calculator I linked doesn't do that calc directly, but you can use a guess-and-check method to enter in the knowns, then try different mass flow rates of steam until you match the pipe size. Try it and see what you get (or do some googling to find a table or other calculator that fits your needs better).

Then take from a steam table the heat of vaporization of steam and multiply to find the heat input rate.

Then calculate the heat you need to add to raise the temperature of water to boiling.

Then divide the heat needed by the input rate to find the time.

Related to Water temperature increase in tank with steam

1. What causes the water temperature to increase in a tank with steam?

The water temperature in a tank with steam increases due to the transfer of heat energy from the steam to the water. As the steam comes in contact with the cooler water, it releases its heat energy, causing the temperature of the water to rise.

2. How does the temperature of the steam affect the water temperature in the tank?

The temperature of the steam directly affects the water temperature in the tank. The higher the temperature of the steam, the more heat energy it will transfer to the water, resulting in a greater increase in water temperature.

3. What factors can influence the rate of temperature increase in a tank with steam?

The rate of temperature increase in a tank with steam can be influenced by several factors, including the temperature of the steam, the volume of steam in the tank, the surface area of the tank, and the initial temperature of the water in the tank.

4. How can the temperature increase in a tank with steam be controlled?

The temperature increase in a tank with steam can be controlled by adjusting the temperature of the steam, regulating the flow of steam into the tank, or using insulation to minimize heat loss from the tank.

5. Is it safe to increase the temperature of the water in a tank with steam?

Increasing the temperature of the water in a tank with steam can be safe as long as proper precautions are taken. It is important to monitor the temperature and pressure in the tank to prevent any potential hazards. Additionally, proper safety measures should be in place when working with high temperatures and steam.