Water vapor below 100 degrees?

In summary, the conversation discusses whether water in a closed, pressurized system mixed with Boron Nitrite will turn into gaseous vapor due to temperature. It is determined that the presence of headspace in the system will allow for some water to turn into vapor until the vapor pressure is at equilibrium. If there is no headspace, there will be no water vapor present. The topic also touches on the possibility of nucleate boiling in heat exchangers. The speaker requests a reference for further reading on vapor pressure and equilibrium.
maverick_sse
hi all
My question is: In a pressurized (close to 1.1 atm; B.P. 109 degrees), closed system of water mixed (in a ratio of 1000 lts to 20lts) with Boron Nitrite (yes I am talking about cooling water system for automobiles) where the temp of the mixture does not exceed 96 degrees Celsius; will the water turn into gaseous vapor? If so why? please explain

Physics news on Phys.org
That depends entirely on whether there is any headspace in the closed system or not. If there is, some quantity of the water will turn to vapor until the vapor pressure in the headspace is at the equilibrium vapor pressure. If there is no headspace (the system is filled to the brim with liquid and then sealed), I would not expect there to be any water vapor at all.

If you are talking about heat exchangers then yes you could have nucleate boiling.

cjl said:
That depends entirely on whether there is any headspace in the closed system or not. If there is, some quantity of the water will turn to vapor until the vapor pressure in the headspace is at the equilibrium vapor pressure. If there is no headspace (the system is filled to the brim with liquid and then sealed), I would not expect there to be any water vapor at all.

hey cjl; thnx for the reply,
yes there is headspace, though the system is pressurised, there are voids (unavoidable), and room for collecting gases in the system and sent to expansion tanks. Kindly give me a reference where i can read about this vapor pressure and the equilibrium at depth.
thnx again.

Yes, it is possible for water to turn into gaseous vapor below 100 degrees Celsius in a pressurized closed system. This is because the boiling point of water increases as pressure increases. In a closed system, the pressure can be increased to above 1 atmosphere, which would raise the boiling point of water. Additionally, the presence of Boron Nitrite can also affect the boiling point of water. This compound is known to increase the boiling point of water, making it possible for water to remain in a gaseous state at temperatures below 100 degrees Celsius. The exact reason for this increase in boiling point is due to the interactions between the molecules of water and Boron Nitrite, which can alter the strength of the hydrogen bonds within the water molecules. Therefore, in this specific scenario, it is possible for water to exist as gaseous vapor below 100 degrees Celsius due to the combination of pressurization and the presence of Boron Nitrite.

What is water vapor?

Water vapor is the gaseous form of water that is found in the Earth's atmosphere.

How does water vapor form?

Water vapor forms when liquid water evaporates into the air. This occurs when the surface of a body of water is heated, causing the water molecules to gain enough energy to escape into the air as gas.

Why is water vapor important?

Water vapor is important for many reasons. It is a key component in the water cycle, which is crucial for maintaining Earth's climate. It also helps regulate temperature and plays a role in various weather patterns.

What is the dew point of water vapor?

The dew point of water vapor is the temperature at which it will condense into liquid water. This typically occurs when the temperature drops below 100 degrees Fahrenheit.

Can water vapor exist below 100 degrees?

Yes, water vapor can exist below 100 degrees Fahrenheit. The dew point will determine whether the water vapor will remain in a gaseous state or condense into liquid water. However, at temperatures below 32 degrees Fahrenheit, water vapor will freeze into ice crystals.