What is the Entropy of Vaporization for Water at 100 Degrees Celsius?

• Thread starter haha01hah
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Entropy
In summary, the conversation is about finding the ∆S(vaporization) of water at 100 degrees Celsius using the formula ∆H-T∆S<0. The speaker found the ∆H(vaporization) to be 372.1 K at 100 degrees Celsius and used the formula to calculate ∆S, resulting in a value of ∆S>124.8 J/(mol*K). However, the speaker is unsure if this is correct and asks for clarification. They then correct their ∆H value to 46.2 kJ/mol and continue to struggle with the formula, still finding it to be confusing.
haha01hah

Homework Statement

"From the boiling point you found of ∆H(vaporization) at a 100 degrees celsius, find ∆S(vaporization) at 100 degrees celsius from the formula given (see eqn.)
This is for water.

Homework Equations

∆H-T∆S<0

The Attempt at a Solution

From the task before, I found ∆H(vap.) at 100 deg. celsius to be 372.1 K. Used the formula, and it gave me;

∆S>∆H/ T. That gave me ∆S>124.8 J/(mol*K)

Doesnt make much sense to me, is this correct or wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
*A little bump* :-)

P.s. I meant ∆H(vap.) at 100 deg. celsius to be 46.2 kJ/ mol
Edit:

Tried: ∆H-T∆S<0

Foumd ∆H to be 46200 J/mol, and T=373,15 K. Gives me that;

46200J/mol - 373,15K*∆S<0

123.8 J/(mol*K)>∆S.

Still does not make any sense! Really confused.

Last edited:

1. What is entropy and why is it important in science?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. It is important in science because it helps us understand the direction and efficiency of chemical and physical processes, and can also be used to predict the behavior of complex systems.

2. How is entropy calculated?

Entropy can be calculated using the formula S = kBlnW, where S is the entropy, kB is the Boltzmann constant, and W is the number of microstates or possible arrangements of particles in a system.

3. What units is entropy measured in?

Entropy is typically measured in units of joules per kelvin (J/K) in the SI system. However, it can also be expressed in other units such as calories per kelvin (cal/K) or joules per mole-kelvin (J/mol-K).

4. How does temperature affect entropy?

As temperature increases, the entropy of a system also increases. This is because at higher temperatures, particles have more energy and can move around more freely, increasing the number of possible microstates and therefore the overall disorder of the system.

5. Can entropy be negative?

No, entropy cannot be negative. The second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time, meaning that entropy can only have positive values.