Wave Equation Question Part 2

In summary: Note that the "C" of integration can be absorbed into $F$.) Then $G(x)= -F(x)$ In summary, the solution to the given problem is $u(x, t)= F(x+ ct)- F(x- ct)$ where $F$ is found by integrating $F'(x)= \frac{x}{2c(x^2+ 1)^2}$.
cbarker1
Gold Member
MHB
Dear Everybody,

I am confused about how to start with the following problem: using the solution from ex. 3:
$u(x,t)=F(x+ct)+G(x-ct)$

"For data u(x,0)=0 and ${u}_{t}=\frac{x}{(x^2+1)^2}$ where x is from neg. infinity to pos. infinity."

Thanks
Cbarker1

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Cbarker1,

Try using the method that Klaas van Aarsen and I discussed with you the other day. Feel free to let me know if there are any issues.

Cbarker1 said:
Dear Everybody,

I am confused about how to start with the following problem: using the solution from ex. 3:
$u(x,t)=F(x+ct)+G(x-ct)$

"For data u(x,0)=0 and ${u}_{t}=\frac{x}{(x^2+1)^2}$ where x is from neg. infinity to pos. infinity."

Thanks
Cbarker1
Setting t= 0 in $u(x,t)= F(x+ ct)+ G(x- ct)$ gives $u(x, 0)= F(x)+ G(x)= 0$ so $F(x)= -G(x)$. That is, $u(x,t)= F(x+ ct)- F(x- ct)$. Differentiating that with respect to t, $u_t(x, t)= cF'(x+ ct)+ cF'(x- ct)$. Setting t= 0 in that (I presume you mean "$u_t(x, 0)= \frac{x}{(x^2+1)^2}$) we have $2cF'(x)= \frac{x}{(x^2+1)^2}$ so that $F'(x)= \frac{x}{2c(x^2+ 1)^2}$. Integrate that to find F.

1. What is the wave equation?

The wave equation is a mathematical formula that describes the behavior of waves, such as light and sound, as they travel through a medium. It is a second-order partial differential equation that relates the second derivative of a wave function to its spatial and temporal coordinates.

2. How is the wave equation used in science?

The wave equation is used in many areas of science, including physics, engineering, and mathematics. It is used to model and predict the behavior of waves in various systems, such as electromagnetic waves in optics and acoustic waves in sound. It is also used to study the properties of different materials and to solve problems related to wave phenomena.

3. What are the key components of the wave equation?

The wave equation has three key components: the wave function, which describes the amplitude of the wave at a given point in space and time, the wave speed, which determines how fast the wave propagates through a medium, and the boundary conditions, which specify the behavior of the wave at the edges of the system.

4. What are some real-life applications of the wave equation?

The wave equation has many practical applications, such as in the design of musical instruments, the development of medical imaging techniques, and the analysis of seismic data for earthquake detection. It is also used in fields like acoustics, optics, and fluid dynamics to study the behavior of waves in different systems and to solve complex problems.

5. What are some limitations of the wave equation?

While the wave equation is a powerful tool for understanding wave phenomena, it does have some limitations. It assumes that the medium through which the wave travels is homogeneous and isotropic, meaning that its properties do not change over time or space. This is not always the case in real-world situations, so the wave equation may not accurately predict the behavior of waves in certain systems.