Wave equation solution using Fourier Transform

In summary, the conversation discusses the solution to the massless Klein Gordon field equation in Quantum Field Theory. The general solution is given by the Fourier transform of the equation of motion, and applying the reality condition leads to a specific form for the solution. The correct form involves splitting the integral into two parts and using the Minkowski inner product to arrive at the textbook answer.
leo.
I'm studying Quantum Field Theory and the first example being given in the textbook is the massless Klein Gordon field whose equation is just the wave equation [itex]\Box \ \phi = 0[/itex]. The only problem is that I'm not being able to get the same solution as the book. In the book the author states that the general solution is:

[tex]\phi(\mathbf{x},t)=\int \dfrac{d^3\mathbf{p}}{(2\pi)^3}(a_p e^{-i\omega_p t + i\mathbf{x}\cdot \mathbf{p}}+a_p^\ast e^{i\omega_p t - i\mathbf{x}\cdot \mathbf{p}})[/tex]

Now to get this I expandand [itex]\Box \ \phi = (\partial_t^2 - \nabla^2)\phi[/itex] and took the Fourier transform so that we get the equation [itex](\partial_t^2 + \omega_p^2)\hat{\phi}(\mathbf{p},t)=0[/itex] where [itex]\omega_p = |p|[/itex].

This equation now has [itex]\mathbf{p}[/itex] just as a parameter and we can easily solve it since it is just the simple harmonic oscilator equation of motion. We end up with

[tex]\hat{\phi}(\mathbf{p},t)= a_p e^{-i\omega_p t}+b_p e^{i\omega_p t}[/tex]

If we now use the Fourier inversion formula we have that

[tex]\phi(\mathbf{x},t)=\int \dfrac{d^3\mathbf{p}}{(2\pi)^3}\hat{\phi}(\mathbf{p},t)e^{i\mathbf{p}\cdot \mathbf{x}}=\int \dfrac{d^3\mathbf{p}}{(2\pi)^3}(a_p e^{-i\omega_p t}+b_p e^{i\omega_p t})e^{i\mathbf{p}\cdot \mathbf{x}}.[/tex]

This is almost the result, but we need, however, to ensure [itex]\phi[/itex] is a real field. For that we need to apply the reality condition to the Fourier transform:

[tex]\hat{\phi}(\mathbf{p},-t)=\hat{\phi}^\ast(\mathbf{p},t)[/tex]

This provides us with

[tex]a_p e^{i\omega_p t} + b_p e^{-i\omega_p t} = a_p^\ast e^{i\omega_p t} + b_p^\ast e^{-i\omega_p t}[/tex]

Now I'm stuck here. I'm not getting how from this condition I can arrive naturally at the textbook answer. How can I proceed this to arrive at the same solution that the textbook presents?

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you handle eipx correctly when you formed φ*(p,t) ?

Actually not. Sometime after posting this here, I realize that I made a huge mistake: I messed up the coordinates and applied the reality condition as if the Fourier transform was on the [itex]t[/itex] rather than [itex]\mathbf{x}[/itex] variable. This was the whole problem, so I think I'll post the correct solution. The correct reality condition is:

[tex]\hat{\phi}(-\mathbf{p},t)=\hat{\phi}^\ast(\mathbf{p},t)[/tex]

which translates into

[tex]a_{-p}e^{-i\omega_p t}+b_{-p}e^{i\omega_p t}=a_{p}^\ast e^{i\omega_p t}+b_p^\ast e^{-i\omega_p t}[/tex]

then using the linear indepence of the functions [itex]e^{-i\omega_p t}[/itex] and [itex]e^{i\omega_p t}[/itex] which can be derived from the Wronskian determinant, we derive that [itex]a_{-p}=b_p^\ast[/itex]. Thus the expansion becomes:

[tex]\phi(\mathbf{x},t)=\int \dfrac{d^3 p}{(2\pi)^3}(a_p e^{-i\omega_p t}e^{i \mathbf{x}\cdot \mathbf{p}} + a_{-p}^\ast e^{i\omega_p t}e^{i\mathbf{x}\cdot \mathbf{p}})[/tex]

Now this can be split into two integrals

[tex]\phi(\mathbf{x},t)=\int \dfrac{d^3 p}{(2\pi)^3}(a_p e^{-i\omega_p t}e^{i \mathbf{x}\cdot \mathbf{p}})+\int \dfrac{d^3 p}{(2\pi)^3}(a_{-p}^\ast e^{i\omega_p t}e^{i\mathbf{x}\cdot \mathbf{p}})[/tex]

Finally on the second integral we perform the change of variables [itex]\mathbf{p}\mapsto -\mathbf{p}[/itex], and we get from the change of variables formula, recalling that [itex]\omega_p = |\mathbf{p}|=\omega_{-p}[/itex] we get

[tex]\phi(\mathbf{x},t)=\int \dfrac{d^3 p}{(2\pi)^3}(a_p e^{-i\omega_p t}e^{i \mathbf{x}\cdot \mathbf{p}})+\int \dfrac{d^3 p}{(2\pi)^3}(a_{p}^\ast e^{i\omega_p t}e^{-i\mathbf{x}\cdot \mathbf{p}})[/tex]

And finally we can combine the two integrals using the Minkowski inner product [itex]x^\mu p_\mu = \eta_{\mu\nu}x^\mu p^\nu[/itex] with again [itex]x^\mu = (t,\mathbf{x})^\mu[/itex] and [itex]p^\mu = (\omega_p, \mathbf{p})^\mu[/itex]. This directly leads to the correct answer:

[tex]\phi(\mathbf{x},t)=\int \dfrac{d^3 p}{(2\pi)^3}(a_p e^{-i p_\mu x^\mu}+a_{p}^\ast e^{i p_\mu x^\mu})[/tex]

1. What is the wave equation and how is it used?

The wave equation is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of waves in different physical systems. It is commonly used in physics, engineering, and other fields to model and understand the propagation of waves such as sound, light, and water. The solution of the wave equation using Fourier Transform allows us to decompose complex waveforms into simpler components, making it easier to analyze and study their properties.

2. What is Fourier Transform and how is it related to the wave equation?

Fourier Transform is a mathematical tool that allows us to decompose a function into its constituent frequencies. It is closely related to the wave equation because it provides a way to solve the equation by breaking it down into simpler components. This allows us to analyze the behavior of waves in a more systematic and efficient manner.

3. How does the Fourier Transform help in finding the solution of the wave equation?

The Fourier Transform allows us to express the solution of the wave equation in terms of simpler sinusoidal functions. By representing the complex wave function as a sum of these simpler components, we can easily determine the amplitude, frequency, and phase of each component, which helps us understand the behavior of the wave in a more intuitive way.

4. What are the applications of the wave equation and Fourier Transform in real-world problems?

The wave equation and Fourier Transform have numerous applications in various fields such as acoustics, electromagnetics, signal processing, and image processing. They are used to study and analyze the propagation of waves in different media, design and optimize communication systems, and solve differential equations in physics and engineering.

5. Are there any limitations or assumptions in using the Fourier Transform to solve the wave equation?

While the Fourier Transform is a powerful tool for solving the wave equation, there are certain assumptions and limitations that must be considered. It assumes that the wave is linear, the medium is homogeneous and isotropic, and the boundary conditions are known. Additionally, it may not be suitable for solving certain types of non-linear wave equations.