Wave Equation with initial conditions, boundary condtions

In summary, the conversation discusses the D'Alambert's formula and how it can be used to determine if a function is odd. The participants also discuss how to extend the initial conditions to satisfy the equation and how to create an odd function. Ultimately, they suggest defining two new functions and using them in the formula to solve the problem.
mmmboh
ojfq7p.jpg

So, I do not think I did this properly, but if f(-x)=-f(x), then u(-x,0)=-u(x,0), and if g(-x)=-g(x), then ut(-x,0)=-ut(x,0).

According to D`Alambert`s formula,

u(x,t)=[f(x+t)+f(x-t)]/2 + 0.5∫g(s)ds (from x-t to x+t)
so, u(0,t)=[f(t)+f(-t)]/2 + 0.5∫g(s)ds (from -t to t)

f is odd, and so is g, so the equation ends up giving zero, as required. But I don`t think that`s what we have to do. How do do I extend the initial conditions so that f(-x)=-f(x)? and the same for g(x). I know how to create an odd function, I can just let h(x)=xf(x2), then h(-x)=-h(x), but I`m not sure what I`m suppose to do.

Physics news on Phys.org
anyone?

Write doen D'Almberts solution, what do you get?

What do you mean? I thought I did write it down,
[tex]
u(x,t)=\frac{1}{2}[f(x-t)+f(x+t)]+\frac{1}{2}\int_{x-t}^{x+t} g(s)ds
[/tex]

Hm, I think I got it, I`ll try to post it soon.

If you've done it, post it otherwise we can go from there. My first thought would be to define two new functions a,b, such that:
[tex]
a(x)=\left\{\begin{array}{cc}
f(x) & x\geqslant 0 \\
-f(x) & x<0
\end{array}\right.
[/tex]
Likewise fot b and work from there.

1. What is the wave equation and how does it relate to initial conditions and boundary conditions?

The wave equation is a mathematical model that describes the behavior of waves, such as sound or light, in a given medium. It is a second-order partial differential equation that relates the wave's amplitude to its position and time. Initial conditions refer to the wave's behavior at the beginning of its propagation, while boundary conditions refer to the constraints on the wave's behavior at the boundaries of the medium.

2. What are some common initial conditions used in the wave equation?

Some common initial conditions include specifying the initial position, velocity, or acceleration of the wave. These conditions help determine the shape and behavior of the wave as it propagates through the medium.

3. How are boundary conditions used in the wave equation?

Boundary conditions are used to specify the behavior of the wave at the boundaries of the medium. These conditions can include constraints on the wave's amplitude, frequency, or wavelength at the boundaries. They are important for accurately modeling how the wave will interact with its surroundings.

4. Can the wave equation be solved for any initial and boundary conditions?

Yes, the wave equation can be solved for any initial and boundary conditions, as long as the medium and its properties are well-defined. However, some solutions may be more complex and difficult to obtain, depending on the specific conditions.

5. What is the significance of initial and boundary conditions in the study of waves?

Initial and boundary conditions are crucial in understanding and predicting the behavior of waves in different mediums. They allow us to specify the parameters of the wave and its surroundings, and ultimately, help us gain insights into a wide range of phenomena, from the propagation of sound waves to the behavior of electromagnetic waves.