Understanding Wave Function and Schrodinger Wave Equation

In summary: Gives a mathematical definition and how it can be used in physics.Gives an example of a wave function and how it can be used to calculate the probability of finding a particle.Gives an example of how the wave function can be used to calculate the energy of a particle.
wasi-uz-zaman
hi ,
can anyone please explain to me what is wavefunction - and can we apply schordinger wsve equation to simple pendulum.
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
From my limited knowledge as of this moment, the way I think of wavefunction is basically a varying wave of numerous possibilities, it's upon observation which's when we break /collapse the wavefunction and make it definite.This is what happens in nature and how duality phenomena of light was discovered.

Schrodinger equation is a partial differential equation I am not sure whether there's a possibility of conversion from PDE to ODE. I will let other users give you a detailed explanation who are much knowledgeable on this.

wasi-uz-zaman said:
hi ,
can anyone please explain to me what is wavefunction - and can we apply schordinger wsve equation to simple pendulum.
thanks

A wave function is a function that describes the probability amplitude of a system. In simple terms, it can be used to determine the probability of finding a system in a certain state at a certain time :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wave_function

Yes, you can use it to describe a classic pendulum.

wasi-uz-zaman said:
hi ,
thanks

Quantum mechanics only predicts the possible results of a measurement and the probability distribution of those results. We use the wavefunction[tex]\psi (x)[/tex]
to calculate the probability distribution[tex]\left| {\psi (x)} \right|^2 [/tex]of the measurement results.[tex]\left| {\psi (x)} \right|^2 [/tex]gives us the probability of finding the particle at position[tex]x[/tex]when we measure the position. It is a mathematical construct that is not an observable, i.e. we do not measure any of its attributes. Most believe that it is not a real physical entity; it does not propagate in space-time like real classical waves do. Mathematically it is defined as a vector in a Hilbert space, which is a complex linear vector space.

Schrodinger's time dependent equation [tex]i\hbar \partial \psi (x,t)/\partial t = \hat H\psi (x,t)[/tex]can be applied to any quantum system, including the quantum simple pendulum. Usually, however, we only want to determine the energy levels and we solve instead the time independent Schrodinger equation[tex]\hat H\psi _k = E_k \psi _k [/tex], which is the energy eigenvalue equation.

Best wishes

thnaks a lot

1. What is a wave function and why is it important?

A wave function is a mathematical representation of a quantum state in quantum mechanics. It describes the probability amplitude of a particle's position and momentum. It is important because it allows us to predict and understand the behavior of particles on a quantum level.

2. How is the Schrodinger wave equation used to study wave functions?

The Schrodinger wave equation is a mathematical equation that describes how a quantum system evolves over time. It is used to study wave functions by solving for the wave function of a particular system, which allows us to determine the probability of finding a particle in a specific location and time.

3. What is the difference between a particle and a wave in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, particles and waves are both described by wave functions. However, particles are localized and have a well-defined position, while waves are spread out and do not have a specific position. This concept is known as wave-particle duality.

4. What is the uncertainty principle and how does it relate to wave functions?

The uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know both the exact position and momentum of a particle at the same time. This is because the act of measuring one property affects the other. The wave function represents the probability of finding a particle in a certain location, and the uncertainty principle reflects the inherent uncertainty in a particle's position and momentum.

5. Can the Schrodinger wave equation be used to solve for all quantum systems?

The Schrodinger wave equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics, but it can only be used to solve for systems with a single particle or a system of particles that are not interacting with each other. For more complex systems, other mathematical approaches, such as perturbation theory or the path integral formalism, are used.