Wavelenght of the incident light

In summary, the incident light on a mercury metal plate with a work function of -4.5 eV has a stopping voltage of -1.65 volts. Using the equation wavelength=hc/E-0, the calculated wavelength is 2.01951 nm, but the correct answer is 201.7561 nm. The discrepancy may be due to using the incorrect value for h in eV.
wyclefchick

Homework Statement

An incident light shines on a mercury metal plate with a work function of -4.5 eV. The stopping voltage is observed to be -1.65 volts. What is the wavelenght of the incident light?

Homework Equations

wavelength=hc/E-0(it's a Greek sign n i don't have it in my computer)

The Attempt at a Solution

(4.14 X 10^-15 eVs) (3 X 10^8 m/s) / 1.65 + 4.5 = 1.242 X 10^-6 / 6.15

1.242(10^2)/6.15 = 20.1954

but the right answer is 201.7561 nm

so can anyone please tell me what did I do wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\frac{hc}{\lambda}=\phi +eV_s[/tex]

Did you use the correct value for h in eV?

i used h=4.14 X 10^ -15 am i supposed to use the other one? h=6.626 X 10^-34 ?

How'd you go from 1.242 X 10^-6 / 6.15 to 1.242(10^2)/6.15 = 20.1954?

Because if you work out 1.242 X 10^-6 / 6.15 you'd get your answer.

I was following one of the examples that my teacher did in class.

well if i do 1.242 X 10^-6 / 6.15...it equals 2.01951 but the right answer is 201.7561 nm

1.242 X 10^-6 / 6.15 =201nm

What is the wavelength of incident light?

The wavelength of incident light refers to the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs of a light wave. It is typically measured in nanometers (nm) or meters (m).

How does the wavelength of incident light affect color?

The wavelength of incident light is directly related to the perceived color of light. Shorter wavelengths correspond to blue and violet light, while longer wavelengths correspond to red and orange light. Other colors fall in between these two ends of the spectrum.

What is the relationship between wavelength and energy of incident light?

The energy of incident light is inversely proportional to its wavelength. This means that shorter wavelengths have higher energy, while longer wavelengths have lower energy. This relationship is known as the wave-particle duality of light.

How is the wavelength of incident light measured?

The wavelength of incident light can be measured using a variety of tools such as a spectrophotometer or a diffraction grating. These instruments use principles of diffraction and interference to accurately measure the wavelength of light.

Why is the wavelength of incident light important in scientific research?

The wavelength of incident light is important in scientific research because it can provide valuable information about the properties and behavior of light. It is also a key factor in understanding and studying the electromagnetic spectrum, which has numerous applications in various fields such as astronomy, physics, and chemistry.