Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Way to cook a joint of beef

1. Sep 23, 2006 #1

wolram

Gold Member

I am after a way to cook a joint of beef so as i can use it for my sarnies,
    when i do it it ends up dry and cardboardy after a few days, is there a marinade that will help preserve the beefiness and texture, that deli stuff is not bad but it lacks the taste of home cooked joint.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2006 #2

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What in the ding dong dell is a sarnie?

4. Sep 23, 2006 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

It's a sammich.

5. Sep 23, 2006 #4

wolram

Gold Member

:rofl: Bells in the dell? i will have have to ask old Ned about that. or could it just be those pesky morris dancers again.

6. Sep 23, 2006 #5

turbo

Gold Member

Not a Tull fan? "With their jock-straps pinching, they slouch to attention, while queuing for sarnies at the office canteen."

7. Sep 23, 2006 #6
    what in the ding dong dell is a Tull?

8. Sep 23, 2006 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What in the Tull is a ding dong dell? :biggrin:

9. Sep 23, 2006 #8

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You're overcooking it wooly.

Preheat your oven to gas mark 9 (yes, 9, 240c).

Dust the joint with some mustard powder and flour, and then rub some salt, black pepper and olive oil into the joint well.

Preheat your roasting tin, and place 4 halves of onion in the bottom with plenty of your fat of choice. Then place your joint on top of the onions.

Roast for 20 minutes, then turn the oven down to gas 5, and cook it for 15 minutes per pound for rare meat. Add 15 mins to the total cooking time for medium, or 30 for well done. These were Delia's timings, so I'd stick to rare the first time round, since it'll probably be what you call medium anyway.

I know I shouldn't need to ask, but you *are* using proper beef aren't you?

If you like, use the same tin to roast your spuds and parsnips and sweet potatoes, and chuck some garlic cloves in there too for extra yumness. The onions will caramelise wonderfully, and the juices will be ideal for your gravy.

10. Sep 23, 2006 #9

turbo

Gold Member

Ah, yes. Prancing about with jingle bells, hankies, and ribbons. What a wonderful way to spend your weekends. Just one step up the entertainment food-chain from mimes.

11. Sep 23, 2006 #10

turbo

Gold Member

Those are lyrics from "Thick as a Brick" by Jethro Tull. For years, I thought he was saying "sardies" and I figured it was a cutesy name for sardines, like infantile folk in the US say "veggies".

12. Sep 23, 2006 #11
    is "slouch to attention" cool, profound, deep, clever or goofy?

13. Sep 23, 2006 #12

turbo

Gold Member

Coat the meat with a rub of salt and pepper, throw it in a deep pot and scorch it (brown it thoroughly on all sides) on the stovetop in an oil that can take high temps (peanut oil is great). You will now have a browned piece of beef and a pot with a lot of dark carmelized juices on the bottom. Now pour in a few inches of water and a generous helping of dry red wine and start simmering that to dissolve the carmelization (you're going to get a tasty dark gravy this way). Toss in sliced cabbage, onions, carrots, potatoes, and parsnips or turnips. You should also add some crushed garlic Cover the pot and simmer until the meat falls apart easily when prodded with a fork, adding water from time to time as it boils down. The beef and the vegetables will swap flavors. This is a New England boiled dinner, and the meat makes the juiciest, tastiest sandwiches you will ever have. When the beef is cooked, remove it and the vegetables and place them on a serving platter.

Whisk some flour into a small bowl of cold water until the mixture is fairly heavy, then whisk that mixture into the boiling juices in your stew pot, and watch the consistency build, to control the thickness of the gravy. You're now ready to sit down to a great meal, and the leftover meat will be fantastic for sandwiches (I like mine with yellow mustard and sharp cheddar cheese on Jewish rye bread).

You can run some of the meat and vegetables through a food processor or a grinder and fry that with eggs for a delicious breakfast hash. If you like sandwiches, the trick is to cook a few vegetables with a large piece of meat, so you can keep having hash and leftover beef and vegetables for a few days, while having plenty of beef for the week's sandwiches.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2006
  14. Sep 23, 2006 #13

turbo

Gold Member

You've got to listen to the song a few times and decide for yourself. It's full of sarcasm and humor, poking fun at the powerful and the pompous. The song spanned two sides of an LP, so it did not get a lot of airplay (except on late-night shows on college stations, etc), but the album sold well. You've got to realize that the band was poking fun at everything, including themselves, insisting that the lyrics had been written by a young boy prodigy.

15. Sep 23, 2006 #14

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Are you slicing it all up after it's cooked, or leaving it whole? You should get yourself one of those vacuum sealers, they're pretty cheap now and really keep stuff fresh.

16. Sep 24, 2006 #15

wolram

Gold Member

Thanks for the advice guys, and Evo, i all ways buy a good joint with some fat and just roast it pink then cut off what i need, i have never seen a vacuum thingamjig but i am going in to town :surprised tomorrow so i will look out for one.

The bell jokes were not a knock out guys, surly you can do better :tongue2:

17. Sep 24, 2006 #16
    {brewnog}I know I shouldn't need to ask, but you *are* using proper beef aren't you?

...wonders what a proper beef is? A cow with good manners?

18. Sep 24, 2006 #17

turbo

Gold Member

Proper beef did not whinney when it was alive. :rofl:

19. Sep 24, 2006 #18

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Proper beef, from proper cows, from a proper farm, reared by proper farmers, fed with proper food, then taken a short distance before being slaughtered at a proper abbotoir at the proper time, transported a short distance again to a proper butcher where it's properly prepared and properly stored.

20. Sep 24, 2006 #19
    No, I'm sure he's talking about the fact that alot of English farmers who can't afford a cow will strap horns on a pig and pretend they own a cow.

21. Sep 24, 2006 #20

turbo

Gold Member

Then, there's proper cooking with proper culinary tools and proper seasoning with proper storage thereafter, so the upcoming sarnies will be properly moist and tasty. There’s many a slip ’twixt the cup and the lip.

Levity aside: Woolie, my recipe for a New England boiled dinner will work beautifully with even the toughest, cheapest cuts of meat. I grew up in what you would consider a "poor" family, though we had a great upbringing and we ate very well. This type of cooking turns the cheapest, stringiest chuck roasts into a meal fit for a king. Give it a try just once - I'm sure it will work fine in Old England, too. By the way, the leftover meat and vegetables (including the gravy as a topping) make a great open-faced sandwich. If you have a microwave oven where you work, take the fixin's and whip one up for lunch. Your co-workers will be swarming you for the recipe. Reveal the recipe to them at a pub after work (one ingredient at a time at a pint each). :biggrin:

Last edited: Sep 24, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?