Have you consider electronics also. That is one of the easiest thing to play at home. That's how I started my 30 years career in EE. I remember when I was like 5 or 6, I started cutting up Christmas lights, stuck them in a cardboard box and hooked up in different banks so I could light them up in different sections. It's almost like some sort of digital controlling. Winding electro magnets and even motor when I was a little older. That was in the 50s and early 60s.
Now if you go to Fry's or on Amazon, you can find so many electronic project games. Play with those. Then start building on your own. Get some books and read.
Then in my teenage days, I was into music, I started modifying guitar amplifiers. That's how I got into EE. I had a degree in Biochemistry, but never work a day in that. Never have a formal education in EE but been an EE for 30 years designing all sort of interesting stuff.