Weak Interaction-QED Interactions

In summary, the conversation discusses the theory of weak interactions proposed by Fermi, which initially did not include intermediate bosons. However, this theory was found to be nonrenormalizable and led to the consideration of intermediate bosons, specifically the W and Z bosons. The idea of these bosons was necessary to solve the problem of unitarity violation at high energies. The conversation also touches on the addition of the Higgs boson and provides a source for further reading on the topic.
Morgoth
Well, I was looking at the beta decay of neutron, and I thought that the weak interaction can be seen in analogue to QED, where you have an electron that emits(or absorbs) a photon and gets scattered.
In the same way, couldn't we say that a Neutron is scattered to a Proton (I see them as the same particle- Nucleon) by emittion of electron+antineutronio?
So the electron and electron antineutrino could play the role that photon does, without needing to insert the intermediative bosons... How could I oppose that?

One idea that I had is the mass and the interaction range... But I'm open to suggestions...

Physics news on Phys.org
Fermi initially proposed a theory of the weak interactions in which the neutron directly couples to the electron, electron antineutrino, and proton through a zero-range interaction with no intermediate W boson. This works, except that the resulting quantum field theory is not renormalizable and so is only useful below some energy scale. That's to be expected of course, since there really is a vector boson. When you get up to energies near the vector boson mass this fact becomes obvious and any theory neglecting it will make wrong predictions.

The Duck already told eveything with great precision, I just wanted to add that one of the deepest problems of Fermi 4-fermion interaction is unitarity violation, which ultimately led theorists to consider intermediate bosons.

Fermi initially proposed a theory of the weak interactions in which the neutron directly couples to the electron, electron antineutrino, and proton through a zero-range interaction with no intermediate W boson. This works, except that the resulting quantum field theory is not renormalizable and so is only useful below some energy scale.
Right, but you can't stop there. Even with the W boson included, the theory is still nonrenormalizable. To get a theory that is renormalizable you must also add the Higgs.

thanks for the rest information, however I can't get how the insertion of a Vector Boson instead of the (νe,e) can help in any way... I'm not trying to say that Fermi was right (of course nowadays the Bosons of WI have been observed, so even experimentally they are verified). I am trying to think/understand how, without knowing a priori if they exist, you put them in your theory... So, when they did it, they should have a theoretical problem that the W,Z would solve...

I guess the unitarity violation is interesting, do you have any source about it I can check?

Morgoth said:
thanks for the rest information, however I can't get how the insertion of a Vector Boson instead of the (νe,e) can help in any way... I'm not trying to say that Fermi was right (of course nowadays the Bosons of WI have been observed, so even experimentally they are verified). I am trying to think/understand how, without knowing a priori if they exist, you put them in your theory... So, when they did it, they should have a theoretical problem that the W,Z would solve...

I guess the unitarity violation is interesting, do you have any source about it I can check?

I don't have any concrete source, sorry, I studied this with my lecture notes. But I think any weak/electroweak interaction theory book should have this explained.
You see, unitarity constraints the S-matrix in terms of available energy s. The 4-fermion interaction violates this constraint at high energies. The idea of a W boson permits to get this constraint back on. Then another problem arises, as the W bosons give you new kinds of interaction, new Feynman diagrams (at tree level), which on their turn violate unitarity again at even higher energies. So the same idea comes up and the Z boson is introduced. And that's it.

Here's a good discussion of it in a Google Book, "Introduction to Electroweak Unification", in the sections titled "Difficulties of Fermi Theory" and "Intermediate Vector Boson".

1. What is the weak interaction in QED?

The weak interaction, also known as the weak force, is one of the four fundamental forces in nature. In Quantum Electrodynamics (QED), it is responsible for interactions between subatomic particles such as quarks and leptons, and is involved in processes such as beta decay and neutrino interactions.

2. How does the weak interaction differ from other fundamental forces?

The weak interaction is unique in that it is the only fundamental force that does not conserve parity (the symmetry between left- and right-handed particles) or charge conjugation (the symmetry between particles and antiparticles). It also has a very short range compared to other forces, making it difficult to observe at large scales.

3. What is the role of QED in describing weak interactions?

Quantum Electrodynamics (QED) is a quantum field theory that describes the interactions between charged particles through the exchange of photons. In the context of weak interactions, QED is used to calculate the probabilities of different particle interactions and to make predictions about their behavior.

4. How does QED explain the phenomenon of beta decay?

Beta decay is a radioactive process where a neutron in a nucleus transforms into a proton, emitting an electron and an antineutrino. QED explains this process by describing the weak interaction between the neutron and the W boson, which is responsible for the transformation of the neutron into a proton and the emission of the electron and antineutrino.

5. Can the weak interaction be unified with other fundamental forces?

Many theories and models, such as the Standard Model, aim to unify the weak interaction with other fundamental forces, such as the strong nuclear force and electromagnetism. However, this remains an ongoing area of research and has not yet been fully achieved. Some theories propose that all forces may be unified at extremely high energies, but this has not been experimentally confirmed.