Weak versus strong convergence

In summary, the conversation discusses the distinction between weak and strong convergence in infinite-dimensional Hilbert spaces. Examples are given to illustrate the difference and it is noted that the weak topology has useful properties such as a weakly compact closure of the closed unit ball. The topology for weak convergence is defined as the weakest topology that makes all functionals continuous.
dextercioby
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
So I've seen the distinction one makes in case of infinite-dimensional Hilbert spaces. Weak convergence versus strong convergence of sequences.

I cannot think of an example of sequence of vectors in L^2(R) which converges with respect to the scalar product, but not with respect to the norm induced by it.

Can one offer me such an example ?

Another question would be: if the strong convergence induces the metric topology on L^2(R), then does weak convergence induce a topology ?

Thank you!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
dextercioby said:
So I've seen the distinction one makes in case of infinite-dimensional Hilbert spaces. Weak convergence versus strong convergence of sequences.

Allright, let's first agree on the meaning here. I assume with strong convergence you mean:

[tex]x_n\rightarrow x~\text{strongly}~\Leftrightarrow~\|x_n-x\|\rightarrow 0[/tex]

And with weak convergence:

[tex]x_n\rightarrow x~\text{weakly}~\Leftrightarrow~<x_n,y>\rightarrow <x,y>, \forall y[/tex].

Is this what you mean?

I cannot think of an example of sequence of vectors in L^2(R) which converges with respect to the scalar product, but not with respect to the norm induced by it.

Can one offer me such an example ?

I can offer you an easy example in [tex]\ell^2[/tex], is that also good? (it should be since [tex]L^2(R)[/tex] is isometric to [tex]\ell^2[/tex])...

Let

[tex]x_1=(1,0,0,...),~x_2=(0,1,0,0,...),~x_3=(0,0,1,0,...),...[/tex]

This sequence does not converge strongly, but it does converge weakly in [tex]\ell^2[/tex] (if I didn't make a mistake). I got this example from the Banach-Alaoglu theorem, which has as corollary for Hilbert spaces that "every bounded sequence in a Hilbert space has a weakly convergent subsequence".

Another question would be: if the strong convergence induces the metric topology on L^2(R), then does weak convergence induce a topology ?

Yes! It is called the weak topology. The weak topology has a lot of good properties that the strong topology doesn't have. For example, the closed unit ball in a Hilbert space has a weak compact closure is a nice result for the weak topology which does not hold for the strong topology. My example is again an incarnation of the Banach-Alaoglu theorem...

micromass said:
Allright, let's first agree on the meaning here. I assume with strong convergence you mean:

[tex]x_n\rightarrow x~\text{strongly}~\Leftrightarrow~\|x_n-x\|\rightarrow 0[/tex]

And with weak convergence:

[tex]x_n\rightarrow x~\text{weakly}~\Leftrightarrow~<x_n,y>\rightarrow <x,y>, \forall y[/tex].

Is this what you mean?

Yes, these are the standard definitions.

micromass said:
I can offer you an easy example in [tex]\ell^2[/tex], is that also good? (it should be since [tex]L^2(R)[/tex] is isometric to [tex]\ell^2[/tex])...

Let

[tex]x_1=(1,0,0,...),~x_2=(0,1,0,0,...),~x_3=(0,0,1,0,...),...[/tex]

This sequence does not converge strongly, but it does converge weakly in [tex]\ell^2[/tex] (if I didn't make a mistake). I got this example from the Banach-Alaoglu theorem, which has as corollary for Hilbert spaces that "every bounded sequence in a Hilbert space has a weakly convergent subsequence".

OK, thank you for the example. I've done some research based on your hint and the inequivalence betweem the 2 convergence types is valid generally for any orthonormal set of vectors in a pre-Hilbert space.

Yes! It is called the weak topology. The weak topology has a lot of good properties that the strong topology doesn't have. For example, the closed unit ball in a Hilbert space has a weak compact closure is a nice result for the weak topology which does not hold for the strong topology. My example is again an incarnation of the Banach-Alaoglu theorem...

Ok, but how is the topology defined ? The metric topology in a pre-Banach space has the unit balls, what are the open sets that define the topology in the case of convergence of arbitrary sequences with respect to the scalar product ?

Thanks!

dextercioby said:
Ok, but how is the topology defined ?

Well, you take the weakest topology on H such that all the functions [tex]<\cdot,y>:H\rightarrow \mathbb{C}[/tex] are continuous. This topology is generated by the following subbasis:

[tex]\{<\cdot,y>^{-1}(G)~\vert~y\in H,~G~\text{open in}~\mathbb{C}\}[/tex]

In topology, this is also known as the initial topology.

More generally, we can define the weak topology on a Banach spaces X (we can even do more general than that!) as the weakest topology such that all the functions in [tex]\mathcal{C}(X,\mathcal{C})[/tex] (= the continuous functions for the strong topology) are continuous. So, in particular, the weak and strong topology have the same continuous functionals.
Weak convergence for Banach spaces is defined as

[tex]x_n\rightarrow x~\Leftrightarrow~f(x_n)\rightarrow f(x)~\text{for}~f\in \mathcal{C}(X,\mathbb{C})[/tex].

Note that these definitions correspond to the usual ones in Hilbert spaces by the Riesz lemma: every continuous functional has the form [tex]<\cdot,y>[/tex].

micromass said:
Well, you take the weakest topology on H such that all the functions [tex]<\cdot,y>:H\rightarrow \mathbb{C}[/tex] are continuous. This topology is generated by the following subbasis:

[tex]\{<\cdot,y>^{-1}(G)~\vert~y\in H,~G~\text{open in}~\mathbb{C}\}[/tex]

In topology, this is also known as the initial topology.

OK, that term I saw in an article by J.E. Roberts on Rigged Hilbert Spaces.

micromass said:
More generally, we can define the weak topology on a Banach spaces X (we can even do more general than that!) as the weakest topology such that all the functions in [tex]\mathcal{C}(X,\mathcal{C})[/tex] (= the continuous functions for the strong topology) are continuous. So, in particular, the weak and strong topology have the same continuous functionals.
Weak convergence for Banach spaces is defined as

[tex]x_n\rightarrow x~\Leftrightarrow~f(x_n)\rightarrow f(x)~\text{for}~f\in \mathcal{C}(X,\mathbb{C})[/tex].

So I'm supposed to read this: x_n converges weakly to x iff the the sequence of functionals's values converges weakly in C.

Thank you for the valuable input.

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between weak and strong convergence?

Weak convergence is a weaker form of convergence compared to strong convergence. In weak convergence, a sequence of values converges to a limit point only in the sense of distribution or probability. Strong convergence, on the other hand, requires the sequence to converge to a limit point in the actual value or function.

2. How does weak convergence relate to probability?

Weak convergence is commonly used in probability theory to describe the convergence of random variables. In this context, weak convergence means that the probability of a sequence of random variables converging to a limit point is equal to the probability of that limit point itself.

3. Can weak convergence exist without strong convergence?

Yes, weak convergence can exist without strong convergence. This is because weak convergence only requires convergence in the sense of distribution or probability, while strong convergence requires convergence in the actual value or function. So, a sequence can exhibit weak convergence without necessarily exhibiting strong convergence.

4. What are some applications of weak and strong convergence?

Weak and strong convergence have various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. In mathematics, they are used in functional analysis, probability theory, and optimization. In physics, they are used in statistical mechanics and quantum mechanics. In engineering, they are used in control theory and signal processing.

5. How can one prove weak or strong convergence?

The method for proving weak or strong convergence depends on the specific problem and context. In general, weak convergence can be proven using the Portmanteau theorem, while strong convergence can be proven using the Banach-Saks theorem or the Uniform Boundedness principle. Other techniques, such as the Egorov's theorem or the Vitali convergence theorem, can also be used to prove strong convergence in certain cases.