Weird? About the direction of rotation of wheels

In summary, Weird!? The direction of rotation of wheels can be confusing, as it depends on the speed of the car.
davon806
Weird!? About the direction of rotation of wheels

Suppose we consider a car moving on rough road in forward direction, wheels rotating clockwise.
Since wheels rotate clockwisely they will push road backwards so friction acts forwards i.e. in direction of motion of car.The car will move, because the only external horizontal force on it is the actual friction force.
Please see the following website:

From 0:29 to 0:34,it is clear that the left front wheel rotate clockwisely but the car is accelerating forwards

However,please also see this video,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCpPPVvGqTY&feature=related
From 2:11 - 2:14
The car accelerates from rest,this time the left front wheel rotates anticlockwisely.

Why?If the wheel push the road forwards,the road would push the car backwards.

Moreover,please see the last video,it is about bicycle.

From 0:30 - 0:40,
a bicycle wheel would rotate in the same direction of the displacement of bicycle.
Similarly,why?Shouldn't the wheels rotate in the opposite direction of displacement according to Newton's 3rd law)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

I'm not sure what you're driving at.
Are you talking about the 'wagon-wheel-turns-backwards' strobe effect of a movie camera?

When the car moves forwards,by action and reaction force,the wheel should rotate backwards so a backward force exerts on the ground.A forward force thus exerts on the car.
Video 1 shows what I mean.
But in video 2 and 3,the wheel of the car rotates forwards when the car accelerates forwards.This shows a contradiction with video 1?

Actually I spent nearly half an hour standing on the street this morning and observed whether the wheels rotate forwards or backwards when the car accelerates.OK I am so crazy...
But I couldn't find any wheel rotate backwards as the car move forwards eventually.All wheels rotate forwards...I am asking because I found it weird and it doesn't match the Newtonian's laws.
Hope someone can understand what I mean :)

davon806 said:
When the car moves forwards,by action and reaction force,the wheel should rotate backwards so a backward force exerts on the ground.A forward force thus exerts on the car.
Video 1 shows what I mean.
But in video 2 and 3,the wheel of the car rotates forwards when the car accelerates forwards.This shows a contradiction with video 1?

Actually I spent nearly half an hour standing on the street this morning and observed whether the wheels rotate forwards or backwards when the car accelerates.OK I am so crazy...
But I couldn't find any wheel rotate backwards as the car move forwards eventually.All wheels rotate forwards...I am asking because I found it weird and it doesn't match the Newtonian's laws.
Hope someone can understand what I mean :)
I did not see the videos but I think the same as AJ Bentley. Why do you think differently? Or don't you know the stroboscopic effect?

Based on looking at the video, I think you're referring to the fact that the wheel appears to be turning backwards when the car is at a certain speed. This isn't because the wheel is actually turning backwards - it is purely an artifact of the way that videocameras work. When the wheel is turning at a certain speed, it aligns a certain way each time the videocamera is taking a picture (to make one frame of the video), which can make the wheels appear to stand still or even turn backwards, even though in reality, they are turning forwards the whole time. A great example of that can be seen here (especially starting at around 1:10):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpMtanpsVeE&feature=related

The fan is rotating clockwise the entire time, but there are periods when the pattern in the middle appears to stop or reverse, and there are periods that the fan blades appear to stop or reverse. Interestingly, since the pattern in the middle repeats 4 times, but the fan has 3 blades, the fan blades are clearly moving while the pattern in the middle appears stopped and vice versa, making it very clear that this is an artifact of the camera.

This can lead to some especially strange and interesting effects if the camera has a progressive scan, where the entire frame is not exposed at once. Here's an example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=LVwmtwZLG88&feature=fvwp

This phenomenon is due to Temporal Sub Sampling. If the frame rate is lower than twice the rate at which spokes pass through a particular angle then an alias is formed which can have a negative angular velocity. This only happens where there are repeated patterns - as with the identical spokes.
This is a problem in vehicle crash testing labs when they want to assess the wheel speeds. It is resolved by painting a single patch of white on each tyre. This still appears in the film to be going the right way round and at the correct speed until the actual wheel rotation rate exceeds half the frame rate (n times as fast) when the aliasing kicks in again.

1. Why do wheels rotate in a clockwise or counterclockwise direction?

The direction of rotation of wheels is determined by the design of the axle and the motion of the vehicle. In most cases, the direction of rotation is chosen based on the convenience and stability it provides. Clockwise rotation is preferred in most vehicles as it helps to keep the vehicle moving in a straight line and reduces the risk of overturning.

2. Can wheels rotate in both clockwise and counterclockwise directions?

Yes, in certain vehicles, such as forklifts or vehicles with all-wheel drive, the direction of rotation can be controlled and changed as needed. This is achieved through the use of differential gears that allow for the rotation of wheels in opposite directions.

3. How does the direction of rotation affect the performance of a vehicle?

The direction of rotation of wheels can impact the handling, stability, and overall performance of a vehicle. For example, in vehicles with front-wheel drive, the direction of rotation needs to be coordinated to ensure smooth turning and maneuvering. In high-speed vehicles, the direction of rotation can also affect the aerodynamics and fuel efficiency.

4. Is there a difference in the direction of rotation between the left and right wheels?

Yes, the left and right wheels of a vehicle usually rotate in opposite directions. This is necessary to ensure that the vehicle moves forward without any sideways movement. The direction of rotation of the wheels is also dependent on the type of transmission, such as front-wheel drive or rear-wheel drive.

5. How does the direction of rotation of wheels impact tire wear?

The direction of rotation of wheels can affect the wear and tear of tires. In most cases, tires are designed to rotate in a specific direction, indicated by an arrow on the sidewall. Rotating the tires in the opposite direction can cause uneven wear and reduce the lifespan of the tires.