Weird Integer Progression in Language Whose Name I Failed to Catch

In summary, the conversation discussed a US Public Broadcasting Corporation television program about the Sora language and its unique base 12 and base 20 system of counting. The man from India who was featured in the program explained his integer progression and how he uses different bases for fine-tuning and gross-tuning. The conversation also briefly touched on the idea of using the hexadecimal system (base 16) in the digital age. It was noted that with base 16, it is only possible to divide by two and exponentials of two, unlike the Babylonian and Sora systems which allow for major fractions to be represented as integers. Finally, the conversation ended with a lighthearted joke about the binary system and its relationship to hexadecimalism
BadBrain
Right now I'm watching a US Public Broadcasting Corporation television program entitled: "The Linguists", in which a man (I think he was from Africa, but I'm not even certain of that, as I wasn't even listening until the math stuff surfaced), explaiined his integer progression, which was quite remarkable.

The point is, he kept switching bases the higher he counted!

He counted up to twelve in base twelve, such that thirteen was "twelve-plus-one", and nineteen was "twelve-plus-seven", but twenty was twenty. Thirty-one was "twenty-plus-eleven", but thirty-two was "twenty-plus-twelve", and thirty-one was "twenty-plus-twelve-plus-one". Getting up to ninety-six, we have "four-twenties-plus-twelve-plus-four".

I can definitely appreciate the logic behind this, as with twelve as a base, you can make all of your major fractions with integers (so that one-third of twelve isn't three-point-three-with-a-line-over-the-three-to-the-right-of the-decimal-point, but the integer four). Expand that to base 60 (like our Babylonian-based hour/degree-minute-second system of telling time and direction), and you can divide by two, three, four, five, six, ten, twelve, fifteen, twenty, and thirty.

But, why does this language use base twelve for fine-tuning, and base twenty for gross-tuning?

Very unusual, but I sense something deeper and VERY important going on here.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
BadBrain said:
Right now I'm watching a US Public Broadcasting Corporation television program entitled: "The Linguists", in which a man (I think he was from Africa, but I'm not even certain of that, as I wasn't even listening until the math stuff surfaced), explaiined his integer progression, which was quite remarkable.

The point is, he kept switching bases the higher he counted!

He counted up to twelve in base twelve, such that thirteen was "twelve-plus-one", and nineteen was "twelve-plus-seven", but twenty was twenty. Thirty-one was "twenty-plus-eleven", but thirty-two was "twenty-plus-twelve", and thirty-one was "twenty-plus-twelve-plus-one". Getting up to ninety-six, we have "four-twenties-plus-twelve-plus-four".
Upon searching via Google, I found that the man was from India, and it is the Sora language which has a combined base 12 and base 20 system.

Personally, I think we should use the hexadecimal system (base 16), with most of us being in the digital age and all. :biggrin:

eumyang said:
Upon searching via Google, I found that the man was from India, and it is the Sora language which has a combined base 12 and base 20 system.

Personally, I think we should use the hexadecimal system (base 16), with most of us being in the digital age and all. :biggrin:

With base 16, all you can do is divide by two and exponentials of two. You can't make your major fractions, such as thirds, or fifths, like you can with the Babylonian system, or, to a more limited extent, with his Sora system.

By the way, isn't binary simply hexadecimalism reduced to her ultimate "2 X 2 X 2 X 2" conclusion?

After all, there are only 10 kinds of people in this world: those who understand binary, and those who don't!

:wink:

1. What is "Weird Integer Progression in Language Whose Name I Failed to Catch"?

"Weird Integer Progression in Language Whose Name I Failed to Catch" is a phenomenon where a sequence of numbers appears in a language without any apparent pattern or explanation. This has been observed in various languages and has puzzled linguists and mathematicians alike.

2. How is this progression different from other number sequences?

This progression is unique because it appears in language rather than in mathematical equations or patterns. It is also different because it does not follow any known mathematical rules or principles.

3. What are some examples of "Weird Integer Progression in Language Whose Name I Failed to Catch"?

One example is the sequence of numbers 1, 11, 21, 1211, 111221, which appears in the English word "one". Another example is the sequence of numbers 1, 2, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3, 3, 4, 1, 2, 3, 4, 4, 5, which appears in the Japanese word "arigatou" (thank you).

4. What is the significance of this progression?

The significance of this progression is still unknown and is a subject of ongoing research. Some theories suggest that it may be connected to the structure and evolution of languages, while others propose that it is purely coincidental.

5. Is there a way to predict or decipher this progression?

As of now, there is no known method for predicting or deciphering this progression. It remains a mystery and continues to spark curiosity and interest among scientists and language enthusiasts.