Solve My Weird SULI Situation | LBNL Staff Scientist

• Programs
  • Thread starter electricsheep420
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Suli Weird
In summary, the speaker is in a difficult situation with their SULI program and has been contacted by a staff scientist at LBNL who has accepted their application. However, the speaker's mentor has informed them that they may have to arrange for part of the program's funding and it is uncertain if they will be able to secure it. The speaker is seeking advice from previous/current SULI mentors or those who work in national labs on the difficulty of managing funding for these programs. The speaker is also advised to keep other options open.
electricsheep420
Hey guys I'm kind of stuck in this weird SULI situation and I've been sweating bullets since last night. I was contacted by an LBNL staff scientist who agreed to take me in. I received an email from him saying that he had accepted my application. I hadn't received an official offer yet so I wasn't celebrating just yet. But last night I received an email saying from my mentor saying that he wasn't aware that he has to arrange for part of the funding of the program. He said "I am hopeful but not 100% sure" when asked about the likelihood of being able to arrange funding.
My question is to previous/current SULI mentors or those who work in national labs to give me an idea of hard it is to manage funding for these programs so I can put my mind at ease haha.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, if they don’t have the funding they don’t have the funding. It isn’t a ton of money to come up with, so if it’s for the summer, they have some time to secure funding. I’ve had to give similar disclaimers to postdocs/students. It generally goes “happy to have you contingent on funding.” Sometimes you get it, sometimes you don’t. It may not be particularly comforting to you, but it never hurts for you to keep more than one iron in the fire. It’s nice of him to basically be giving you a heads up.

1. What is a SULI situation?

A SULI situation refers to the Science Undergraduate Laboratory Internship program at the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (LBNL). It is a program that provides undergraduate students with the opportunity to conduct research at a national laboratory.

2. What does it mean to be a staff scientist at LBNL?

A staff scientist at LBNL is a full-time employee who conducts research, manages projects, and collaborates with other scientists and researchers at the laboratory. They are typically experts in their field and have a PhD in a relevant scientific discipline.

3. What is a "weird" SULI situation?

A "weird" SULI situation refers to any unexpected or unusual circumstance that arises during a student's internship at LBNL. This could include challenges with their research project, conflicts with their mentor or team members, or any other unexpected issues that may affect their experience at the laboratory.

4. How can a staff scientist help solve a weird SULI situation?

A staff scientist can help solve a weird SULI situation by providing guidance, support, and resources to the student. They can also act as a mediator between the student and their mentor or team members, and help facilitate communication and resolution of any conflicts or challenges.

5. Are there any resources available for students in a weird SULI situation?

Yes, LBNL has resources available for students in a weird SULI situation. This may include counseling services, mentorship programs, and other support systems to help students navigate and overcome any challenges they may be facing during their internship.