Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Welcome to the gates of Jimmy.

1. Jun 13, 2012 #1
    Here are a couple of pictures of a gate at the back of my house. The previous owner didn't paint it. When I bought the house, I should have done so, but I didn't and over the years, it deteriorated. It no longer swings right and the stationary part is falling off.

b7xe8o.jpg
    35d7xgl.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 13, 2012 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

It has "Character". :tongue2:

4. Jun 13, 2012 #3
    So, I measured the pieces, bought some wood and cut it to size. I don't have a jigsaw, so I cut the rounded edge with the table saw. It's not the right tool for the job, and if you look closely at it you will see a jagged line, but from far away you can't tell. The piece of paper is the pattern for the curve at the top of the gate.
    xfnp8i.jpg
    54vx8z.jpg

5. Jun 13, 2012 #4
    Here is another view of the gate. I hadn't planned to remove the posts, but it turns out they were starting to rot at the bottom.
    103y9o9.jpg

6. Jun 13, 2012 #5
    When is a gate not a gate? You can see my new bbq in the back yard.
    r8ctx5.jpg

7. Jun 13, 2012 #6
    I've made a lot of progress. My biggest mistake was assembling the gate before painting it. Here is it with just a primer coat. Getting paint between the boards was a pain. I won't make that mistake with the stationary part. I'll put the finishing coat on before I assemble it and then touch up whatever I damage afterwards. The post that attaches to the garage is the original, I just painted it. They sell a decorative piece that I can put on top of the other two posts that looks similar to the cap on the old post.
    24gjd5c.jpg

8. Jun 13, 2012 #7
    Lookin good so far Jimmy.

9. Jun 13, 2012 #8

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Jimmy, careful using that saw on the horses. It looks like the table top is about to slip off of the 2x4 :eek:.

10. Jun 13, 2012 #9
    From your many other posts referring to the "wife". I'm guessing this was a "sentence" of sorts? What did you do?

Nice job on that Gate!

11. Jun 13, 2012 #10

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Yeah, I'd move that horse.

Nice looking gate.

12. Jun 13, 2012 #11

Danger

Gold Member

This is sadly reminiscent of my sex life... :frown:

13. Jun 13, 2012 #12
    Nothing. Even so, it's my fault. I told her I was going to dismantle the old gate and asked her if I could just leave it open or did I need to build a new one? Wonder of wonders, it turns out that I need to build a new one.

14. Jun 13, 2012 #13

turbo

Gold Member

Too bad you don't live close! I have lots of tools, including an AC and a battery-operated jig-saw.

15. Jun 13, 2012 #14

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think you fell straight into the trap here. Don't you realize that once you have rebuilt the gate, "she who must be obeyed" will want the rest of the house rebuilding to the same standard?

16. Jun 13, 2012 #15

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I didn't see any safety glasses either. tsk tsk... :tongue2:
    Seriously though, looks good for the tools at hand.

17. Jun 13, 2012 #16
    It's mostly finished. I spent the whole day painting. I used an exterior flat paint for most of it except the decoration at the top of the post. There I used an exterior round paint for the convex part and interior round paint for the concave part. I told my wife I paint better than Picasso and she agreed. In fact, she said there's no comparison. The only things left to do are attach the stationary part, touch up the paint and attach the post decorations. By the way, I stabilized the saw horse legs.
    py8ef.jpg

18. Jun 13, 2012 #17

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl:

19. Jun 13, 2012 #18
    @Jimmy Snyder,
    Nice work dude. I spent 10+ years restoring messed up houses. A good feeling accompanies turning pieces of **** into something nice.

20. Jun 13, 2012 #19
    Now I see where I went wrong a few years back when I painted a fence post ornament. I used exterior square paint for the whole thing. Everyone said there was something off about it and that Picasso could have done better.

21. Jun 14, 2012 #20
    He used cubic paint and the result looked like who did it and ran.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook