Welcome to the gates of Jimmy.

• Thread starter Jimmy Snyder
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Welcome
In summary, Jimmy painted a gate that was in bad shape. He used some simple tools to do the job and it looks good.
Jimmy Snyder
Here are a couple of pictures of a gate at the back of my house. The previous owner didn't paint it. When I bought the house, I should have done so, but I didn't and over the years, it deteriorated. It no longer swings right and the stationary part is falling off.

b7xe8o.jpg

35d7xgl.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
It has "Character". :tongue2:

So, I measured the pieces, bought some wood and cut it to size. I don't have a jigsaw, so I cut the rounded edge with the table saw. It's not the right tool for the job, and if you look closely at it you will see a jagged line, but from far away you can't tell. The piece of paper is the pattern for the curve at the top of the gate.
xfnp8i.jpg

54vx8z.jpg

Here is another view of the gate. I hadn't planned to remove the posts, but it turns out they were starting to rot at the bottom.
103y9o9.jpg

When is a gate not a gate? You can see my new bbq in the back yard.
r8ctx5.jpg

I've made a lot of progress. My biggest mistake was assembling the gate before painting it. Here is it with just a primer coat. Getting paint between the boards was a pain. I won't make that mistake with the stationary part. I'll put the finishing coat on before I assemble it and then touch up whatever I damage afterwards. The post that attaches to the garage is the original, I just painted it. They sell a decorative piece that I can put on top of the other two posts that looks similar to the cap on the old post.
24gjd5c.jpg

Lookin good so far Jimmy.

Jimmy Snyder said:
54vx8z.jpg

Jimmy, careful using that saw on the horses. It looks like the table top is about to slip off of the 2x4 :eek:.

From your many other posts referring to the "wife". I'm guessing this was a "sentence" of sorts? What did you do?Nice job on that Gate!

lisab said:
Jimmy, careful using that saw on the horses. It looks like the table top is about to slip off of the 2x4 :eek:.
Yeah, I'd move that horse.

Nice looking gate.

Jimmy Snyder said:
over the years, it deteriorated. It no longer swings right and the stationary part is falling off.

This is sadly reminiscent of my sex life... :frown:

nitsuj said:
From your many other posts referring to the "wife". I'm guessing this was a "sentence" of sorts? What did you do?
Nothing. Even so, it's my fault. I told her I was going to dismantle the old gate and asked her if I could just leave it open or did I need to build a new one? Wonder of wonders, it turns out that I need to build a new one.

Jimmy Snyder said:
Nothing. Even so, it's my fault. I told her I was going to dismantle the old gate and asked her if I could just leave it open or did I need to build a new one? Wonder of wonders, it turns out that I need to build a new one.
Too bad you don't live close! I have lots of tools, including an AC and a battery-operated jig-saw.

I think you fell straight into the trap here. Don't you realize that once you have rebuilt the gate, "she who must be obeyed" will want the rest of the house rebuilding to the same standard?

lisab said:
I didn't see any safety glasses either. tsk tsk... :tongue2:
Seriously though, looks good for the tools at hand.

It's mostly finished. I spent the whole day painting. I used an exterior flat paint for most of it except the decoration at the top of the post. There I used an exterior round paint for the convex part and interior round paint for the concave part. I told my wife I paint better than Picasso and she agreed. In fact, she said there's no comparison. The only things left to do are attach the stationary part, touch up the paint and attach the post decorations. By the way, I stabilized the saw horse legs.
py8ef.jpg

Jimmy Snyder said:
It's mostly finished. I spent the whole day painting. I used an exterior flat paint for most of it except the decoration at the top of the post. There I used an exterior round paint for the convex part and interior round paint for the concave part.

:rofl:

@Jimmy Snyder,
Nice work dude. I spent 10+ years restoring messed up houses. A good feeling accompanies turning pieces of **** into something nice.

Jimmy Snyder said:
There I used an exterior round paint for the convex part and interior round paint for the concave part.
Now I see where I went wrong a few years back when I painted a fence post ornament. I used exterior square paint for the whole thing. Everyone said there was something off about it and that Picasso could have done better.

zoobyshoe said:
Now I see where I went wrong a few years back when I painted a fence post ornament. I used exterior square paint for the whole thing. Everyone said there was something off about it and that Picasso could have done better.
He used cubic paint and the result looked like who did it and ran.

Here is the finished result front and back.
30wa1xx.jpg

14u8gvm.jpg

Jimmy Snyder said:
Here is the finished result front and back.
Gorgeous! Really excellent job!

Looking good, Jimmy!

Great job Jimmy!

Now you can't say it is an original, brought from Europe and being used by your family for the last 100 years.

Looking good, Jimmy. If I have any pending carpentry issues, you can come help.

I missed the episode where Jimmy The Carpenter Guy explains how to properly use nails and screws for the job at hand. Anybody make a recording?

Bah!

Obviously photoshopped...

jsphotoshopedgate.jpg

:wink:

I always wonder, if there is a controversy/scandal over gates. Will they call it Gategate ?

What is "Welcome to the gates of Jimmy?"

"Welcome to the gates of Jimmy" is a phrase commonly used to refer to the entrance of a fictional world or dimension, often used in science fiction or fantasy genres.

Who is Jimmy?

Jimmy is a fictional character often associated with the phrase "Welcome to the gates of Jimmy." He is often depicted as a powerful being who controls the entrance to a different world or dimension.

Is "Welcome to the gates of Jimmy" based on any scientific theories?

No, "Welcome to the gates of Jimmy" is generally used in fictional contexts and does not have any scientific basis or theories associated with it.

What does the phrase "Welcome to the gates of Jimmy" symbolize or represent?

The phrase "Welcome to the gates of Jimmy" is often used to symbolize the beginning of a new journey or adventure, as the gates represent a portal to a different world or dimension.

Why is the phrase "Welcome to the gates of Jimmy" so popular in science fiction and fantasy genres?

The phrase "Welcome to the gates of Jimmy" has become popular in science fiction and fantasy genres due to its mysterious and intriguing nature. It also adds an element of fantasy and adventure to the story.