Proving Subgroups and Cosets in RingsExploring Subgroups and Cosets in Rings

• Thread starter DanielThrice
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of rings and cosets, and how to prove that the operations + and * are well-defined if and only if I is an ideal. The process of proving something is well-defined involves showing that the definition makes sense and that different representatives of the cosets result in the same sum.
DanielThrice
Original Query: I'm beginning to look at rings for the first time and was given this to start with:
Let R = < R, +, *> (* means multiplication) be a ring, and let I < R be an additive subgroup of < R, + >.
Consider the set of cosets

R/I = {a + I: a is an element of R}

equipped with its own operations + and * defined by

(a + I) + (b + I) = (a + b) + I
(a + I) (b + I) = ab + I

How do we prove that the operations + and  are well-defined <---> the
additive subgroup I satis es the following conditions:

ab is an element of I for all a in R and b in I

ba is an element of I for all a in R and b in I

?

What I understand:
So the question is basically asking, `prove that R/I makes sense if and only if I is an ideal'.

I think I have to prove the following:
a + I = a' + I, b + I = b' + I ---> (a + I) + (b + I) = (a' + I) + (b' + I), (a + I) + (b + I) = (a' + I) (b' + I)
Are we just proving that something is well defined?

And to prove the other part of the `if and only if', this is what I think we should do:
Assume a + I = a' + I and b + I = b' + I but (a + I) (b + I) does not equal (a' + I) (b' + I)
That is, ab + I does not equal a'b' + I, which would imply that ab - a'b' is not an element of I.

I think I want to prove that there exists some r in R and x in I such that xr is not an element of I or rx is not an element of R . T

This needs some patching up, I'm a little new to rings

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, proving that something is "well defined" essentially means proving that the definition makes sense!

Here, "a+ I" represents a set of elements, the coset a is in, and a is a "representative" member of that set.

"(a+ I)+ (b+ I)= (a+ b)+ I" really says "select a member of each coset and add them. The sum of the two cosets is the coset a+ b is in". But what if we happened to use different representatives? That is, suppose c was in coset a+ I (which we could also call c+ I) and d was in coset b+ I (so that we could also have called that set d+I). We would not expect c+ d to be the same as a+ b but we must have that c+ d and a+ b are in the same coset. Is that true? If it is then this addition is "well defined".

Thanks Ivy, helped a lot I figured it out. I like how you reworded it.

1. What is a well-defined subgroup?

A well-defined subgroup is a subset of a group that satisfies the four axioms of a group: closure, associativity, identity element, and invertibility. This means that the subset is closed under the group's operation, the operation is associative within the subset, the subset contains the identity element of the group, and every element in the subset has an inverse within the subset.

2. How is a well-defined subgroup different from a subgroup?

A subgroup is a subset of a group that also satisfies the four axioms of a group. However, a well-defined subgroup has the additional requirement that the subset is explicitly defined and not ambiguous. This means that the elements of a well-defined subgroup can be easily identified and there is no room for interpretation.

3. Can a well-defined subgroup have more than one operation?

No, a well-defined subgroup can only have one operation, which is the same operation as the parent group. This is because the operation is what defines the group, and a well-defined subgroup must have the same defining operation as the parent group.

4. What is an example of a well-defined subgroup?

An example of a well-defined subgroup is the set of even integers within the group of integers under addition. This subset satisfies all four axioms of a group and is explicitly defined as all integers that can be divided by 2 without a remainder.

5. How are well-defined subgroups useful in mathematics?

Well-defined subgroups are useful in mathematics because they allow for the study of smaller, more manageable subsets of larger groups. This can help simplify complex problems and make them more approachable. Well-defined subgroups are also important in group theory, which has many applications in various fields of mathematics and science.