Can the Well-Ordering Theorem Prove the Axiom of Induction?

• Thread starter kostas230
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Induction
In summary: The well ordering theorem is a statement about a model of Peano arithmetic in which the induction axiom is not true.
kostas230
The well ordering theorem states that every non-empty set has a least element for some ordering (<). This means that if we take the set of natural numbers, by considering the Peano Axioms ONLY, we can find an order (<) (not necessarily the usual one) in which the set of natural numbers N has a least element (again, not necessarily 0).

Now, suppose we take a number system N', which satisfies the Peano Axioms except the Axiom of Induction. Due to the Well-Ordering Theorem, we can find an order "<" in which N' has a least element. Can we show that the Axiom of Induction does not hold under this relation or at least make any progress on that? Thanks :)

Physics news on Phys.org
No, we can't- the "well- ordering" property implies induction. Of course, that is an induction using the order,
"an order (<) (not necessarily the usual one)", not necessarily based on the usual order. That is, if this "not necessarily the usual" order has first element a, then "induction" would be
1) prove the statement is true for x= a
2) prove that if a statement is true for some x then if is true for x+ (where x+ is the "next element" in this order).

I thought the well ordering theorem of natural numbers refer to the natural order?

Let ##N'## be the disjoint union of ##N_1## and ##N_2## where ##N_1,N_2=\mathbb{N}##. Define the total order ##<'## on ##N'## by ##a<'b## iff ##a\in N_1## and ##b\in N_2## or ##a,b\in N_i## and ##a<_ib## in ##N_i##, where ##<_i## is the standard order on ##N_i##. Define ##S':N'\rightarrow N'## by ##y=S'(x)## iff ##y=S_i(x)##, where ##S_i:N_i\rightarrow N_i## is the standard successor function. Basically, ##N'## is just two copies of ##\mathbb{N}## stacked end-to-end with the "natural" order and successor function.

Then ##N'## with ##S'## is a model of the Peano Axioms without the induction axiom that is well ordered by ##<'##. The induction axiom is, in fact, false for ##N'##.

If you make a similar construction with ##\mathbb{N}## and ##\mathbb{Z}## (instead of two copies of ##\mathbb{N}##), with ##\mathbb{N}## before ##\mathbb{Z}##, then you get a model of the Peano Axioms without induction that is not well-ordered.

Keep in mind that the Well-ordering Theorem is a (true) statement in ZFC about the existence of a well-ordering for every set. It's not really applicable to most questions that one might have about Peano Arithmetic; it's kinda ... external. The Well-ordering Principle is a statement about natural numbers with a specific order, expressible in Peano arithmetic, and true only because the induction axiom is true; i.e. minus the induction axiom, well-ordering need not hold.

kostas230 said:
The well ordering theorem states that every non-empty set has a least element for some ordering (<).

To avoid spreading confusion it might be worth pointing out that this is not what the well ordering theorem states. It is equivalent to the weaker statement that every set can be totally ordered.

1. What is the well-ordering principle?

The well-ordering principle is a fundamental concept in mathematics that states that every non-empty set of positive integers has a least element.

2. How does well-ordering relate to mathematical induction?

Well-ordering is a key principle used in mathematical induction. It provides the base case for induction, allowing us to start with the smallest element and prove that the statement holds for all larger elements.

3. Can well-ordering be applied to sets other than positive integers?

Yes, the well-ordering principle can be applied to any well-ordered set, which is a set with a defined order in which every non-empty subset has a least element.

4. What is the difference between well-ordering and induction?

Well-ordering is a principle that states that every non-empty set has a least element, while induction is a method of mathematical proof that uses the well-ordering principle to prove statements about all elements of a set.

5. Are there any limitations to using well-ordering and induction in mathematics?

While well-ordering and induction are powerful tools in mathematics, they are not applicable to all sets. For example, the real numbers are not well-ordered, so these principles cannot be used to prove statements about real numbers.