Understanding Well-Posed Differential Equations: Tips and Techniques

• Thread starter member 428835
  • Start date
In summary, a differential equation is considered well posed if it has a unique solution. To determine if an ODE is well posed, one would need to refer to established theorems such as the Picard-Lindelof theorem or the Peano existence theorem. It is also recommended to consult books such as Ross' Differential Equations for further understanding.
member 428835
How to tell if a differential equation is well posed? I understand this means a solution exists and is unique. How would one determine if an ODE is well posed?

Physics news on Phys.org
joshmccraney said:
How to tell if a differential equation is well posed? I understand this means a solution exists and is unique.

I don't know. Does it? It seems to depend on author and convention.

How would one determine if an ODE is well posed?

To determine existence/uniqueness, you'll need to have a general theorem establishing them. The Picard-Lindelof theorem and the Peano existence theorem are two popular ones which show existence (and uniqueness for Picard-Lindelof) for quite some general ODE's.

Likes ms.wiz.boss.23 and member 428835
Shoot, I had a gut feeling there was some ambiguity in asking the question!

And thanks! I'll look into your suggestions! I just needed a place to start.

Do check out Ross' Differential Equations book. It's one of the best books on the topic. (Do get his large book which covers the theory, and not his small book by almost the same name which covers just the practical stuff).

Sounds good!

What is a well-posed differential equation?

A well-posed differential equation is one that has a unique solution, is dependent on all initial conditions, and is stable under small changes in those initial conditions.

Why is it important to understand well-posed differential equations?

Understanding well-posed differential equations is important because they are the foundation of many mathematical models used in science and engineering. Without a solid understanding of these equations, it is difficult to accurately predict and analyze real-world phenomena.

What are some techniques for solving well-posed differential equations?

Some common techniques for solving well-posed differential equations include separation of variables, integrating factors, and using series solutions. It is important to choose the appropriate technique based on the specific equation and initial conditions.

How can one check if a differential equation is well-posed?

To check if a differential equation is well-posed, one can examine the initial conditions and ensure that they are unique and that the solution is stable under small changes in those conditions. Additionally, certain mathematical properties such as existence, uniqueness, and stability can also be checked.

What are some tips for understanding and working with well-posed differential equations?

Some tips for understanding and working with well-posed differential equations include practicing with various examples, understanding the underlying principles and concepts, and seeking help from experts or resources when needed. It is also important to pay attention to initial conditions and their impact on the solution.