Well-researched nutrition information

In summary, Mike is starting back up on an exercise routine after a long break and is experiencing muscle fatigue lasting for days. He is not sure if it is something he is overlooking, if he is slowly building back up with his exercise/fitness routine or if he is doing too much, too often. His diet is not well balanced and he is not getting adequate sleep or rest. He is stretching, warming up and cooling down properly, but is not sure if he trusts BodyBuilding.com. He is looking into meal replacement powders and supplements to help with muscle fatigue.
faitswulff
I started working out again after a long break, and my muscle fatigue is lasting for days, really destroying my motivation to stick to my schedule. I was just wondering if anyone knew of any legitimate, well-researched nutrition information, supplements, or techniques that I should know of to deal with this? I'm not sure I trust BodyBuilding.com, which advocates use of creatine, Branched Chain Amino Acids, and ice baths.

Thanks ahead of time!

Biology news on Phys.org

Are you sure it's not something that you're overlooking? Are you slowly building back up with your exercise/fitness routine, or are you doing too much, too often? How's your diet at the moment? Are you eating a relatively well-balanced diet with adequate nutrition, or do you need to clean up your food intake? Are you getting adequate sleep and rest? Are you stretching regularly and warming up and cooling down properly?

I've used creatine in the past (works pretty well, but I didn't use it when starting back up on an exercise routine) - but you'd get better results AFTER you've established a baseline of physical exercise instead of relying upon it from the get-go. Ice baths do work, but I'm not sure I've heard of people using them to reacclimate themselves to an exercise routine. Never tried BCAAs myself, but I've heard positive and negative comments about them.

I'm starting up slowly, so slowly that I'd rather not say what my exercise regimen is. Honestly, my diet has always been the most neglected aspect of my fitness, but I abhor junk food and I drink soda maybe once in a blue moon. I eat a lot of rice (I'm Chinese, go figure) with veggies and meat, but mostly meat. I was hoping to supplement instead of changing my eating habits, but I'm willing to do so if need be. Everything else is just fine.

I'm somewhat skeptical of anything other than vitamin or mineral supplements, due to a certain phobia about tinkering with my biochemistry, so I'm not likely to take creatine or BCAAs. Should I rethink this?

To be honest, that you're complaining of muscle fatigue that lasts for days makes me think that this is a case of overtraining. However, there's also the factor that you are getting back into a fitness routine after a long layoff - you're going to be sore and fatigued, even if you are getting back into it slowly. I don't know what your exercise "mix" is, but if you're not hitting the weights excessively (3 times a week is generally enough) and not overdoing the cardio, it's probably just your body flushing out the crud and getting used to being stressed again on a regular basis.

You may want to look into meal replacement powders, especially after exercise. Just your basic mix of macronutrients, vitamins, and minerals. Other than that, the biggest issues to keep in mind are adequate warm-up and cool-down before and after exercise, and getting plenty of sleep/rest, which is the oft-underappreciated side of the equation. You need to let your body repair and rebuild itself.

The "crud" comment makes me think maybe I should drink more water and just keep it up. Thanks for all the help, Mike!

A lot of people really do overtrain when they start out, not realizing it's overtraining. For example, how many people think that you might need to start a weight lifting routine with NO weights? If it's been a long time, just a few reps of the bar without any weights could be too much. Same for even just walking for cardio, if you have been very sedentary, just a 5 min walk on a slight incline could really strain muscles that haven't been used for a while.

If you haven't seen a physician for a check-up in a while and are starting a new workout routine, it's good to go in for a physical and get an "all-clear" to start your workout program. Make sure this fatigue that's lasting for days isn't due to some underlying problem that you should be aware of. If it's just muscle fatigue, then backing off and more gradually picking up the routine may help.

Hi,

Nutrition Supplements are something we have all heard of over the years but what exactly does the term mean. It is a fact that all the food we eat have nutritional content. Nutrition supplements are simply food in a concentrated form designed to give the benefit of eating a large quantity of food in natural form.

Most supplements are a waste of money. Why? Because it's simply cheaper to just eat right. Eat lean meats, quality carbs, some fruit and veggies. Simply as that. Now that said, I do drink a protein shake after each workout because it's easy and has a faster absorption than eating a chicken breast.

You should have a rest day between any workout. After all, you build muscle resting, not during workout.

What you may be experiencing is DOMS (delayed onset muscle syndrome). I get it all the time due to my soccer sessions always being a few weeks apart. This is simply where you shock the body a bit and as moonbear said maybe go to hard too soon.

Don't take creatine, it doesn't make you stronger, just look a bit bigger and there are plenty of side effect stories out there.

Again, if you want to spend $50 on a tub of protein powder, great. But you can do just as good if not better with a $2 chicken breast.

However I would suggest taking fish oil capsules. It's a natural anti-inflammatory and helps the your joints. Take 3-4g daily.

Ice baths do work. I used to do them all the time. Immediately after a hard workout, chug a protein shake. Then turn on the cold water in your tub. Take a bag of ice or a bucket of freezer ice and dump it in the bath. It really sucks and I usually start swearing a storm getting in, but you will get fairly used to it. If you start going numb then you have it a bit cold and you should get out. When you get the temp right, you should be in there for 20min. I usually get my laptop in the bathroom and play a tv show to pass the time. The next day I am still sore, but much much better than if I had not. Pro athletes do this after most games. It works.

Hi there,

It took me many years to find out a "miracle" solution against muscle sorreness. For years I was doing a lot of sports, like training, hiking, mountain biking, skiing, and sometimes all in one day. I could suffer for a few days of over working my body.

One day, my wife saw me in one of these state, and told about a revolutionary method against muscle pain. OK it is not so revolutionary, but it works: MAGNESIUM. Magnesium is the essence of muscle contraction. It will not help you grow, it will not make you slim. It will only make you last longer and recuperate faster. Give fuel to your muscles and you can keep on going. And I am not talking about the super heavy-duty stuff you buy in a fancy store, just buy some dissolving tabs of magnesium at your local grocery store or pharmacy. Get the cheapest one possible (there anyway more or less the same) and take one or two tabs a day. You might see some very good results, anyways worked for me.

Cheers

Greg Bernhardt said:
What you may be experiencing is DOMS (delayed onset muscle syndrome).

It's Delayed Onset Muscles Soreness.

faitswulff said:
I started working out again after a long break, and my muscle fatigue is lasting for days, really destroying my motivation to stick to my schedule. I was just wondering if anyone knew of any legitimate, well-researched nutrition information, supplements, or techniques that I should know of to deal with this? I'm not sure I trust BodyBuilding.com, which advocates use of creatine, Branched Chain Amino Acids, and ice baths.

Thanks ahead of time!

I advise against taking information from internet sources regarding training. Most of what is out there is pure ****.

I don't know details about your training program, but for anyone (regular ppl, I don't talk about athletes) who gets back in training after a very long period or is training for the first time, I recommend to begin with a simple general conditioning program for 4 to 12 weeks depending on age and fitness levels. I usually design it in a way which produce adaptations over a pretty large spectrum, but it's main purpose is to enhance the work capacity of the organism. This include aerobic work too. Essentially, recovery is driven by aerobic processes and having a strong foundation on which you can later build strength / hypertrophy / power / whatever work is important.

The most important "supplements" for any athlete are : adequate nutrition and adequate sleep. Make sure you eat balanced, that your protein and CHO requirements are met. Make sure you go to bed early and sleep enough. I cannot stress enough the importance of sleep.

Ice baths, contrast baths, sure they are things which DO work. But many of those are required only in advanced athletics , in high intensity and shock microcycles.

The question which you ask yourself in the first place is if the training program is adequate to your current level of preparedness. It may be too much for you to handle. Its kinda unwise to look for supplements and artificial means to cut back on DOMS so soon after you started training. The silver bullet is in persistence and consistence, not in supplements. If you are unsure how to proceed, hire a good PT for several months, just to get you booted.

Don't forget, adequate nutrition and quality sleep !

Last edited:

And speaking about quality nutrition information, you can find all you need in this book:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0074716026/?tag=pfamazon01-20

A new edition is due shortly, and it worth every penny. You will find accurate information and heavily referenced materials regarding a lot of topic in nutrition applied in athletics. All authors are scientists and many of them where directly involved in applied nutrition in high level athletics. Practical experience with athletes its a huge boon for scientists involved in human performance.

The information you are likely to find on internet is mostly driven by marketing and money coming from the supplementation industry. Another part is purely mythical in nature. For 70 USD, the price of this book, you can save yourself a lot of pain of trying to discern between myths , plain lies , and accurate info floating around.

(I am in no way associated with the publisher or editors of this book. Recommendation solely made on the basis of perceived usefulness)

Last edited by a moderator:

faitswulff said:
...deal with this? I'm not sure I trust BodyBuilding.com, which advocates use of creatine, Branched Chain Amino Acids, and ice baths.

Thanks ahead of time!

What's wrong with creatine and ice baths?

seycyrus said:
What's wrong with creatine and ice baths?

Ice baths are fine if done correctly. Google "creatine side effects". It doesn't even make you stronger. Just gives you a pump by retaining more water.

faitswulff said:

Thanks ahead of time!

The latest article I read about muscle fatigue was "ACSM: Chocolate Milk Aids Muscle Recovery."

By Kristina Fiore, Staff Writer, MedPage Today
Published: June 02, 2009
Reviewed by Zalman S. Agus, MD; Emeritus Professor
University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine and
Dorothy Caputo, MA, RN, BC-ADM, CDE, Nurse Planner Earn CME/CE credit
for reading medical news

LITTLE FALLS, N.J., June 2 -- When it comes to muscle recovery, a glass of low-fat chocolate milk after exercise is just as good as a high-carbohydrate energy drink, researchers say.
Action Points

In a small study of soccer players, low-fat chocolate milk consumption provided better muscle recovery after intense training compared than an isocaloric, high-carbohydrate drink, Michael J. Saunders, Ph.D., of James Madison University, and colleagues reported at the American College of Sports Medicine meeting in Seattle.

They said fitness experts are increasingly calling chocolate milk an effective option for postexercise recovery as studies show it to be just as effective as some commercial sports drinks in helping athletes re-energize after a workout.

To assess the potential benefits of chocolate milk, the researchers conducted a small study of 13 male college soccer players who served as their own controls by completing two intervention cycles.

Each consisted of one week of normal training, followed by four days of more intense training.

Immediately after each day of intense training, the players downed a high-carbohydrate drink in one intervention and chocolate milk in the other.

At days two and four of intense training, the researchers measured creatine kinase and myoglobin levels, muscle soreness, mental and physical fatigue, peak isometric force of the quadriceps, and leg-extension repetitions.

The researchers found that serum creatinine kinase levels -- a marker of muscle damage -- were significantly lower after drinking chocolate milk than they were after the high-carb beverage.

After two days of intense training, levels were 343.5 u/l for chocolate milk compared with 449.9 u/l for the carbohydrate drink. After four days, levels dropped to 316.9 u/l and 431.6 u/l, respectively.

Mean changes in peak isometric force of the quadriceps values also tended to be greater after milk than after the carbohydrate beverage, but the difference was not statistically significant.

There were no differences between beverages with regard to soccer-specific performance, muscle soreness, or mental or physical fatigue.

The researchers said the results indicate that low-fat chocolate milk is effective in muscle recovery after intense training.

The study was supported by the Milk Processor Education Program, which runs the national Milk Mustache "Got milk?" Campaign.

The researchers reported no conflicts of interest.

Primary source: American College of Sports Medicine
Source reference:
Gilson SF, et al "Effects of chocolate milk consumption on markers of muscle recovery during intensified soccer training" ACSM 2009.

I must admit that I like a morning blender drink of fruit, milk, and a scoup of GNC's Women's Ultra Mega - Maximum Nutrition Formula prior to going to the gym. Personally, the combination of exercise and the drink gives me a lot of energy throughout my busy day. :smile:

Greg Bernhardt said:
Ice baths are fine if done correctly. Google "creatine side effects". It doesn't even make you stronger. Just gives you a pump by retaining more water.

Unless research has revealed something new in the past 5 years, creatine has been shown to increase strength gains. I don't use it now, but have used it in the past. I can't think of a single person who I have spoken to that has used it, who would claim that it didn't do anything.

Yes, many fallacies here :) but it's still my contention.

Last edited by a moderator:

seycyrus said:
Unless research has revealed something new in the past 5 years, creatine has been shown to increase strength gains. I don't use it now, but have used it in the past. I can't think of a single person who I have spoken to that has used it, who would claim that it didn't do anything.

Yes, many fallacies here :) but it's still my contention.

Agreed, creatine is the first source of energy your body turns to during those high-intensity periods. It's been shown that ingesting larger amounts of creatine increases the amount of creatine available for your muscles. If you even eat high-glycemic carbs. while supplementing creatine you can increase the efficiency and available amounts of stored creatine in your muscles... (Yes this will lead you to increased strength and performance in high-intensity anaerobic excercise... the time when creatine is used as an energy source).
Not a lot of regular people working out do this type of training though, for instance interval training making sure that when you sprint you are going full-out. High creatine also IIRC help with building muscle mass after a workout

@OP: This won't help you with muscle-cramps though... in fact some side-effects of creatine supplements ARE sore-muscles... Ice baths do work... You never said how long your muscles have been sore though, are we talking 2 days or 2 weeks? If it's only 'pain' for about 2 days and then it goes away this is completely normal nothing to worry about you don't even have to change your exercise routine... just make sure that the soreness subsides before you go back to training.

Make sure you are:
-Stretching before and after training. (stretching after doesn't really help the soreness but always do this to prevent injuries and I personally think it feels good lol :tongue:)
-Warm-up with some light excercises
-After your work-out you should move directly into a light-aerobic exercise. During your rest period you should also be doing some light-aerobic exercises. Both of these will help and neither will decrease performance or hinder your muscles in anyway.
-KEEP HYDRATED... this is EXTREMELY important always keep drinking preferably water or some sort of sports drink during your training. By the time you feel thirsty you are ALREADY dehydrated.
-Massages work wonders
-Ice baths do work... if your interested in doing that.
-Make sure your work out routine is set up so that you can meet the goals you are trying to achieve through working out.

Make sure that you know the difference between accute muscle pain and DOMS. Acute muscle soreness is very abrute and sharp; you should see a doctor. If your soreness lasts more than a week you should probably also go see a doctor.

Something that I used to do so that soreness wouldn't interrupt my training was train different areas of my body on different days. After awhile of training and your body becomes used to it the soreness after a good workout should feel more good than painful. :smile:

faitswulff said:

Thanks ahead of time!

Sounds like you are experiencing DOMS. Is the soreness the worst on the second day?

I've been working out for over 21 years with weights and I still to this day get sore for a couple of days.

I can tell you from personal experience that Amino Acids have always improved my recovery time.

Creatine has never had any effect on my recovery but I have noticed that it increases my stamina in the gym and provides me with a "pump" while working out (i.e. my muscles feel pumped up).

All that being said, different peoples' bodies react slightly different to supplements. I would suggest consulting your physician for proper medical advice.

Hope this helps.

CS

Greg Bernhardt said:
Most supplements are a waste of money. Why? Because it's simply cheaper to just eat right. Eat lean meats, quality carbs, some fruit and veggies. Simply as that. Now that said, I do drink a protein shake after each workout because it's easy and has a faster absorption than eating a chicken breast.

You should have a rest day between any workout. After all, you build muscle resting, not during workout.

What you may be experiencing is DOMS (delayed onset muscle syndrome). I get it all the time due to my soccer sessions always being a few weeks apart. This is simply where you shock the body a bit and as moonbear said maybe go to hard too soon.

Don't take creatine, it doesn't make you stronger, just look a bit bigger and there are plenty of side effect stories out there.

Again, if you want to spend $50 on a tub of protein powder, great. But you can do just as good if not better with a $2 chicken breast.

However I would suggest taking fish oil capsules. It's a natural anti-inflammatory and helps the your joints. Take 3-4g daily.

chicken breasts are great. so are eggs and milk and lean red meat and fish. but there's absolutely nothing wrong with a tub of protein powder, it's a rather thrifty way to get a little extra protein and it's convenient.

fish oil is great stuff, yes it is. you may want to go as high as 10g/day. not sure there's any proof it helps joints, but they may at least feel better.

but you are absolutely wrong about creatine. it is one of the few supplements that actually does work. there are a ton of studies on Pubmed to confirm it works. and there's no proof I'm aware of these undesirable side effects unless you're taking 200g/day like one dummy did. and even then, the symptoms correlate just fine with someone overexerting themselves in the gym to induce rhabdo, which happens more often in the Crossfit cult.

First off, the OP (faitswulff) asked the question almost a year and a half ago and never returned to the topic. At this point in time, we are only speculating what might have been the actual cause for his or her mention of *muscle fatigue*. One thing we do know to a degree is a “long” period prior to the person ‘working out again’ seemed to result in the person becoming discouraged after having used muscles that may have not been used which might have resulted in *muscle weakness*. Hopefully, Faitswulff has resumed a healthy lifestyle and enjoying the benefits of it.

Since there is now a discussion about creatine, Medline Plus, a service of U.S. National Library of Medicine and the National Institutes of Health, outlines the pro’s and con’s about Creatine. The page was last updated on August 26, 2009.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/patient-creatine.html

Hi there,

You can definitely go with some state of the art supplement, but there is nothing that replaces good healthy living. If you want protein, eat a steak, with some "not too cooked" eggs as a side dish. After that one, even Mr.O would not need any more protein for that day. And you have some other good stuff with it.

I would just be very very careful before starting with any supplement diet. Make sure that your body can process it, that it does not store it, and that it might be useful for your lifestyle. Some supplements can turn out to be uneffective, and unhealthy if you don't really need it, and your body stacks it.

From my point of view, if you have problems recovering from too much sports, talk to a physician or a nutritionist about it. Test can be made to determine what you are laking, and what you could take to help.

Cheers

Not everyone in the world has the luxury of eating a steak. I am a big fan for fortified drinks! :!)

Fortified orange drink, a success with Third World children, now shown to ease 'hidden hunger' in mothers and babies
FOR RELEASE: Oct. 29, 2002
Office: 607-255-3613
E-Mail: SSL4@cornell.edu

ITHACA, N.Y. -- A dietary supplement in the form of a cheap, fortified, orange-flavored drink can reduce Third World deficiencies in micronutrients such as iron, iodine and vitamin A, a Cornell University physician and international nutritionist reports. The supplement, he says, eases the so-called "hidden hunger" that plagues more than 2 billion people worldwide and particularly affects pregnant and nursing mothers and young children.

Studies by Michael C. Latham, professor of international nutrition at Cornell, and his research team three years ago showed that the drink improves the health, nutritional status and physical growth of children in the developing world. His latest research shows that the drink can also influence the nutrition and the health of pregnant and lactating mothers and their infants in the Third World, reducing the risk for disability, ill health, and consequently, low productivity.

In a study last year and reported on this month, Latham tested the specially formulated supplement on 439 pregnant Tanzanian women, some of whom continued to be monitored after giving birth. At the Micronutrient Colloquium, which Latham chaired, in Cincinnati Oct. 10-11, he reported that the supplement significantly improved the iron and vitamin A status of the women, compared with a control group of those who did not consume the fortified drink. The risk of anemia dropped by 51 percent in pregnant women who consumed the drink.

"A simple powdered drink, which is very well liked and taken regularly when available, is convenient, simple to use and could be easily manufactured locally and widely distributed," notes Latham, who was director of Cornell's Program in International Nutrition for 25 years.

"What started as an important but relatively small study in Tanzania a few years ago has mushroomed into trials in the Philippines and Bangladesh and the successful marketing of the product in Venezuela (under the brand name Nutri Star), which is likely to be expanded in Latin America," Latham says.

The drink is made by mixing about two tablespoons of a powder fortified with 11 vitamins and minerals in a glass of water. It supplies 30 percent to 120 percent of the U.S.-recommended dietary allowances for 11 nutrients. Specifically, the fortified orange-flavored powder contains iron, zinc, iodine, vitamins A, C and E, folic acid, niacin, thiamin, riboflavin and pyrodoxine. Latham notes that about two-thirds of pregnant women in the developing world suffer from anemia, and many do not take iron pills regularly. In addition, many infants in developing countries are at risk for vitamin A deficiency. It was found that the breast milk of new mothers in the Tanzanian test group consuming the fortified supplement showed improved vitamin A levels in their breast milk compared with the control group. Similar findings have been found in a study of children in the Philippines; another study is under way in Bangladesh with adolescent girls,

The researchers believe that when the new dietary supplement is regularly consumed as a low-cost, pleasant-tasting drink, it has the potential to improve the nutrition of many millions of people worldwide, especially women and children who commonly are deficient in many nutrients.

Latham's collaborators on the study included Cornell postdoctoral associate Deborah Ash, Cornell Ph.D. 2000; Diklar Makola, M.D.; and scientists from Tanzania, including Simon Tatala, M.D., and Godwin Ndossi, Cornell Ph.D. '92.

The experimental batch of the powder was manufactured by the Procter and Gamble Co. under the leadership of Haile Mehansho, a food scientist at Proctor and Gamble. The research in Tanzania was supported by the Micronutrient Initiative of Canada and by UNICEF. The Micronutrient Colloquium was sponsored by the Procter and Gamble Nutrition Science Institute. The work has benefited from public-private partnerships and collaboration among international organizations, developing-country institutions, the private sector and academia.
[snip]
###
http://www.news.cornell.edu/releases/Oct02/fortified.drink.ssl.html

fatra2 said:
From my point of view, if you have problems recovering from too much sports, talk to a physician or a nutritionist about it. Test can be made to determine what you are laking, and what you could take to help.

Cheers
In my experience, ppl just coming into strength training lack the most common sense. They have unrealistic expectations just about everything regarding their progress. They want the fat they got on them in 10 years off in a month, they want to become strong overnight. When they see that reality is a bit different, they start to look after silver bullets. And soon all falls down, and 90% of them quit in another 1-2 months.

How about some plain old skool common sense ? Patience, consistence , persistence. Unfortunately we have no tests for those :P Rome wasn't built in a day.

Eating right after excercising also works. More of the energy from the food will then go into your muscles.

What also works is doing a light exercise a few hours after the main exercise. This brings extra energy to the muscles and help them to recover faster.

I support the American Heart Association Learn and Live.:approve:

Physical Activity

AHA Scientific Position

Physical inactivity is a major risk factor for developing coronary artery disease. Coronary artery disease is characterized by deposits of fatty substances, cholesterol, calcium and other substances in the inner lining of arteries that supply blood to the heart muscle. It also contributes to other risk factors, including obesity, high blood pressure, high triglycerides, a low level of HDL ("good") cholesterol and diabetes. Even moderately intense physical activity such as brisk walking is beneficial when done regularly for a total of 30 minutes or longer on most or all days.

Why is exercise or physical activity important?

Regular aerobic physical activity increases your fitness level and capacity for exercise. It also plays a role in both primary and secondary prevention of cardiovascular disease. Physical inactivity is a major risk factor for heart disease and stroke and is linked to cardiovascular mortality.

Regular physical activity can help control blood lipid abnormalities, diabetes and obesity. Aerobic physical activity can also help reduce blood pressure.

The results of pooled studies show that people who modify their behavior and start regular physical activity after heart attack have better rates of survival and better quality of life. Healthy people — as well as many patients with cardiovascular disease — can improve their fitness and exercise performance with training.

How can physical activity help condition my body?

Some activities improve flexibility, some build muscular strength and some increase endurance.
Some forms of continuous activities involve using the large muscles in your arms or legs. These are called endurance or aerobic exercises. They help the heart by making it work more efficiently during exercise and at rest.

Brisk walking, jumping rope, jogging, bicycling, cross-country skiing and dancing are examples of aerobic activities that increase endurance.

How can I improve my physical fitness?

Programs designed to improve physical fitness take into account frequency (how often), intensity (how hard), and time (how long). They provide the best conditioning.

The FIT Formula:

F = frequency (days per week)

I = intensity (how hard, e.g., easy, moderate, vigorous) or percent of heart rate

T = time (amount for each session or day)

AHA Recommendation

For most healthy people:

For health benefits to the heart, lungs and circulation, perform any moderate-to-vigorous-intensity aerobic activity for at least 30 minutes on most days of the week at 50–85 percent of your maximum heart rate. You can accumulate 30 minutes in 10 or 15 minute sessions. What's important is to include physical activity as part of a regular routine.

These activities are especially beneficial when done regularly:

1. brisk walking, hiking, stair-climbing, aerobic exercise
  2. jogging, running, bicycling, rowing and swimming
  3. activities such as soccer and basketball that include continuous running

The training effects of such activities are most apparent at exercise intensities that exceed 50 percent of a person's exercise capacity (maximum heart rate). If you're physically active regularly for longer periods or at greater intensity, you're likely to benefit more. But don't overdo it. Too much exercise can give you sore muscles and increase the risk of injury.

What about moderate-intensity activities?

Even moderate-intensity activities, when performed daily, can have some long-term health benefits. They help lower the risk of cardiovascular diseases. Here are some examples:

1. walking for pleasure, gardening and yard work
  2. housework, dancing and prescribed home exercise
  3. recreational activities such as tennis, racquetball, soccer, basketball and touch football
What risk factors are reduced?

Regular physical activity can also help reduce or eliminate some of these risk factors:

1. High blood pressure — Regular aerobic activities can lower blood pressure.
  2. Cigarette smoking — Smokers who become physically active are more likely to cut down or stop smoking.
  3. Diabetes — People at their ideal weight are less likely to develop diabetes. Physical activity may also decrease insulin requirements for people with diabetes.
  4. Obesity and overweight — Regular physical activity can help people lose excess fat or stay at a reasonable weight.
  5. High levels of triglycerides — Physical activity helps reduce triglyceride levels. High triglycerides are linked to developing coronary artery disease in some people.
  6. Low levels of HDL — Low levels of HDL ("good") cholesterol (less than 40 mg/dL for men/less than 50 mg/dL for women) have been linked to a higher risk of coronary artery disease. Recent studies show that regular physical activity can significantly increase HDL cholesterol levels and thus reduce your risk.

What are other benefits of physical activity?

1. Physical activity builds healthy bones, muscles and joints, and reduces the risk of colon cancer. Millions of Americans suffer from illnesses that can be prevented or improved through regular physical activity.
  2. Physical activity also helps psychologically. It reduces feelings of depression and anxiety, improves mood and promotes a sense of well-being.
  3. The 1996 Surgeon General's Report on Physical Activity also suggests that active people have a lower risk for stroke.

When should I consult my doctor?

Some people should consult their doctor before they start a vigorous exercise program. See your doctor or other healthcare provider if any of these apply to you:

1. You have a heart condition or you've had a stroke, and your doctor recommended only medically supervised physical activity.
  2. During or right after you exercise, you often have pains or pressure in the left or mid-chest area, left neck, shoulder or arm.
  3. You've developed chest pain or discomfort within the last month.
  4. You tend to lose consciousness or fall due to dizziness.
  5. You feel extremely breathless after mild exertion.
  6. Your doctor recommended you take medicine for your blood pressure, a heart condition or a stroke.
  7. Your doctor said you have bone, joint or muscle problems that could be made worse by the proposed physical activity.
  8. You have a medical condition or other physical reason not mentioned here that might need special attention in an exercise program (for example, insulin-dependent diabetes).
  9. You're middle-aged or older, haven't been physically active, and plan a relatively vigorous exercise program.
If none of these is true for you, you can start on a gradual, sensible program of increased activity tailored to your needs. If you feel any of the physical symptoms listed above when you start your exercise program, contact your doctor right away. If one or more of the above is true for you, an exercise-stress test may be used to help plan an exercise program.
http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=4563

I'm glad the American Heart Association didn't forget dancing and gardening. Those are two of my all time favorite fun things to do. Naturally, I have more than two fun things to do. LOL! Laughter is the greatest medicine. :-)

Last edited:

1. What is considered "well-researched" nutrition information?

Well-researched nutrition information is information that is based on scientific studies and research conducted by reputable organizations or institutions. It should be peer-reviewed and published in reputable journals to ensure its accuracy and validity.

2. How can I tell if nutrition information is reliable?

A reliable source of nutrition information will provide evidence-based recommendations and cite credible sources for their information. Look for information from registered dietitians, government agencies, and academic institutions.

3. Is there a one-size-fits-all approach to nutrition?

No, there is not a one-size-fits-all approach to nutrition. Nutrition needs can vary based on factors such as age, gender, medical conditions, and lifestyle. It is important to consult with a healthcare professional to determine the best nutrition plan for you.

4. How often does nutrition information change?

Nutrition information is constantly evolving as new research and studies are conducted. It is important to stay up-to-date with the latest information and to be critical of sources to ensure the information is reliable.

5. Can nutrition information be biased?

Yes, nutrition information can be biased. It is important to be aware of the source of the information and any potential conflicts of interest. Look for information that is supported by multiple studies and from a variety of sources to ensure a well-rounded perspective.