Well-valued Universities in the States

In summary, there are several well-valued universities in the United States that consistently rank high in terms of academic excellence, student satisfaction, and job placement rates. Some of the top universities include Harvard, Stanford, and Yale, known for their prestigious programs and highly accomplished faculty. Other notable institutions include Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Princeton, and Columbia University. These universities offer a wide range of majors and opportunities for students to engage in research and real-world experiences. While tuition costs may be high, these universities often provide generous financial aid packages to make their education accessible to students from diverse backgrounds. Overall, these well-valued universities are highly sought after by students and employers alike for their rigorous academic standards and reputation for producing successful graduates.
Horse
I am looking for resources about the values of undergraduate degrees in States. I mean by value the high quality of teaching and low tuition fees. I have found this site: http://www.ncf.edu/news/?p=868 , but I am unsure whether they apply to foreign students. Collegeboard.com shows that "Out-of-state tuition and fees" tend to be about 3 times higher than "In-state tuition and fees", at least in the case of "University of Virginia". I suppose that "Out-of-state tuition and fees" apply to foreigners. I am an IB student, interested in Mathematics, Engineering and Natural sciences. Are there some lists about the "values" for foreigners?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
As a foreign student, unless you have some kind of aid from your home country or receive an some kind of international scholarship aid, you are pretty much considered out of state, which is much more expensive than instate. This will pretty much be the norm at almost all state universities. I don't see how they would consider you an instate student.

I have heard of graduate students being supported by their home country's government or something like that. Is this possible in your situation? You didn't say where you were from. I'm sure others can give you some suggestions.

I have the Finnish (EU) passport. I am white. Dunno whether this last fact matters?! Perhaps for some scholarships?!

My suggestion would be that, unless your parents are very rich, forget about coming to the US as an undergrad. Come as a graduate student... the opportunities for support are *much* greater.

Vid said:
Maybe Finland has a similar thing?

Unfortunately, it is not: open http://www.kela.fi/in/internet/suomi.nsf/NET/240604110911IL?OpenDocument (sorry in Finnish). Norway is really a special country. Finland offers some hundred Euros. Is it possible to do Online some degrees in the States? They probably are cheap.

I have heard that you can buy old exams from some universities, such as British Columbia. My Mathematics department in the University of Helsinki does not offer old exams with solutions. Is there some online store selling the exams with solutions in the States? Or perhaps some books? They would be useful for online degrees (if such degrees exist).

Last edited:
I feel confident in saying getting a European undergraduate education is WAY better than getting an online American degree. Especially if you plan on pursuing graduate school. Who is going to write your letters of recommendation? I don't think this is a good option for you.

in general european undergrad is better than american. stay home. then come here for grad school. trust me you'll be way ahead of your american cohorts.

I would also recommend you to do your undergraduate studies at home and then go to the US for grad school if you are still interested in doing that when you graduate. I did my undergrad studies at home, in Canada and then went for grad school at a well-known US school. It turned out that I had a better background in physics than many of my graduate school classmates who had been undergrad at well-known US schools.

I agree that European undergraduate is better than American online. I don't put much stock in online physics degrees, and it appears not many graduate schools do at this point in time either.

I don't believe that European undergrad is universally better than American undergrad. I don't think "generally better" is terribly meaningful statement. One can ask if University X is better than University Y, but grouping them by country isn't really relevant to the question "Should I go to University X or should I go to University Y?"

I don't know how Finnish universities compare with others for the quality of undergraduate instruction, but some of them are well-known for research in some fields, for example the Helsinki Technical University (Teknillinen Yliopisto) is well-known for low-temperature physics.

jtbell said:
I don't know how Finnish universities compare with others for the quality of undergraduate instruction.

I would say the undergraduate courses tend to be disappointing, at least in my University. Patriotism is an excuse for copyright infringements. I hate that grading is not transparent and original sources tend to get lost. It is much better to read directly in English rather than Finnish. The language becomes a problem in the universities, as things get more complicated. Perhaps, this is the reason why I speak such Finlish.

My solution has been to venture Mathematics. It is less subjective and it is easier to find information :) I think the quality of Mathematics in the University of Helsinki is high. I am still rather confused how it compares with universities in Scotland. Some of the universities, such as St Andrews, have no tuition fees for EU citizens. Is St Andrews a good choice if I plan to graduate in US? At least, it is favoured by US citizens.

Last edited:

Related to Well-valued Universities in the States

1. What are the top well-valued universities in the United States?

Some of the top well-valued universities in the United States include Harvard University, Stanford University, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Princeton University, and Columbia University.

2. How are universities in the States considered well-valued?

Universities in the States are considered well-valued based on a variety of factors, including their academic reputation, research output, faculty expertise, student selectivity, and alumni success.

3. Are well-valued universities in the States only private institutions?

No, there are both private and public universities in the States that are considered well-valued. Some examples of well-valued public universities include University of California, Berkeley and University of Michigan.

4. Do well-valued universities in the States have higher tuition fees?

Generally, well-valued universities in the States have higher tuition fees compared to other universities. However, many of these universities also offer financial aid and scholarships to make education more accessible.

5. Can international students attend well-valued universities in the States?

Yes, international students are welcome to apply and attend well-valued universities in the States. However, they may need to meet certain requirements and obtain a student visa before enrolling.