Westinghouse Bankruptcy and the Future of Nuclear Power

In summary: Westinghouse does and they are also not getting the return on investment that they would like. In summary, the bankruptcy of Westinghouse is a financial setback for the nuclear power industry, but it's not the end of the world. There are still companies that are able to build nuclear power plants, and innovative startups are always looking for new ways to improve the technology.
Astronuc said:
The situation with Westinghouse and the new AP1000 builds makes me wonder, if we can build nuclear powered aircraft carriers and submarines, why can't we be successful at building NPPs?
US NRC. The NRC does not, can not, impose new requirements on US naval nuclear vessels after construction begins. Imagine 'aircraft impact' containment requirements imposed naval vessels.

Engineering news on Phys.org
russ_watters said:
It's because ships are built in dedicated, purpose-built, high-tech factories and nuclear power plants are just buildings -- and any idiot can pour concrete or weld a pipe or lay a beam where a blueprint says to...except that they can't.
Which does not explain how China, S. Korea builds large reactors in building mode in five to seven years for a fraction of the cost of new US reactors, or how the US itself built them cheaply 40 years ago. Differences in labor costs does not explain all.

Last edited:
mheslep said:
US NRC. The NRC does not, can not, impose new requirements on US naval nuclear vessels after construction begins. Imagine 'aircraft impact' containment requirements imposed naval vessels.

It's my understanding that the NRC has no jurisdiction over government controlled reactors or nuclear material.

russ_watters said:
except that they can't...
One such problem is loss of skills, like the near miss Astro reported. Another occurred with the forging of the big RPV. Apparently, in big pieces the carbon concentration goes wrong on one end of the piece. The solution, going back to cannon age, was to lop off the end. This time, they forgot.

mheslep said:
Which does not explain how China, S. Korea builds large reactors in building mode in five to seven years for a fraction of the cost of new US reactors, or how the US itself built them cheaply 40 years ago. Differences in labor costs does not explain all.
My response would probably be too political, though...
One such problem is loss of skills...
Yes, I think that is a lot of it.

russ_watters said:
My response would probably be too political, though...
upload_2017-8-6_15-36-44.png