How to calculate resistance needed for voltage drop

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics question about using a 19V DC laptop adapter to power a 12V DC pump motor. The solution involves using a 2ohm resistor rated for 25W+ to drop the voltage from 19V to 12V. The conversation also mentions using a Zener diode as a regulator for the varying pump load. An actual regulator is suggested, but it is not a simple solution.
taeagan
Hi. I'm hoping someone can help me out with a pretty simple physics question. My electrical circuit skills are pretty rusty, so please bear with me.

I'm using a 19V DC laptop adapter to power a 12V DC pump motor. The pump is rated for 3.5A. I have an on/off switch between the power supply and the motor. I'm trying to figure out what kind of circuit I need to put in between to drop the voltage from 19V out of the battery to 12V at the motor.

By my (likely overly simplified) calculations I think that I need a 2ohm resistor rated for 25W+. Is it as simple as just putting a resistor in between the + side of the battery and the motor? Do I need anything more complicated than that? I have to think that I'm wrong here.

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Does you 19V DC adapter indicate at what current it can supply at that voltage or what its power rating is? Most of these wall warts output voltage can sag as you draw power from them.

Welcome to Physics Forums.

The power supply reads that it is rated for DC output 120W or 6.32A.

Sounds like it's good enough for what you are doing. So if you want the voltage at your pump to be 12 volt, you'll need a drop of 7 volts. At the rated pump current of 3.5 amp you would need a resistance V/I=7volts/3.5amp=2Ω. The power dissipation would need to be I2R=(3.5amp)2(2Ω)=24.5watt. So your calculations are correct.

One thing to consider is if the pump load varies (depending on what's being pumped), the pump current draw will vary, hence the voltage you supply the pump with will also vary. One could consider a regulator circuit if this is a problem.

Cant we use a ZENER DIODE ?

Er.Electrical said:
Cant we use a ZENER DIODE ?
Sure can.
zenereg.gif

Now you'll have to pick a Zener diode that can handle the current requirements. Here a calculator that will get you in the ball park.
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electronic/zenereg.html#c1"

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, guys. I'm definitely impressed with myself that I was able to get my brain to figure that out, as simple as it was.

However, you lost me with the zener diode. I completely understand the concept that the voltage may vary with load on the pump, however, I have no idea how I would go about designing the zener regulator.

In the diagram, is "unregulated power supply" my charger/adapter? Assuming so.

What's Vz? Is that my pump? If so, does that mean that the diode and the load resistor are just wired in parallel with the pump?

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How is resistance related to voltage drop?

Resistance and voltage drop are inversely proportional. This means that as resistance increases, voltage drop decreases, and vice versa.

2. What formula is used to calculate resistance for voltage drop?

The formula used is R = V/I, where R is resistance in ohms, V is voltage drop in volts, and I is current in amps.

3. How do I determine the appropriate resistance for a specific voltage drop?

You can determine the appropriate resistance by first calculating the current in the circuit using the formula I = V/R, where I is current, V is voltage, and R is the known resistance. Then, use the formula R = V/I to calculate the resistance needed for the desired voltage drop.

4. What are some factors that can affect the resistance needed for voltage drop?

Some factors that can affect resistance include the material and length of the conductor, temperature, and the type of circuit (AC or DC).

5. Can I use a variable resistor to control voltage drop?

Yes, a variable resistor (also known as a potentiometer) can be used to control voltage drop by adjusting the resistance in the circuit. This can be useful in applications where the voltage needs to be precisely controlled.