What am I doing wrong in this exponential equation?

So log(5) + log(1) ≠ log(6).In summary, to solve the equation 52x - 3(5x) = 10, you need to use the exponential property \displaystyle \ \ 5^{2x}=\left(5^x\right)^2 and let u = 5x, which will give you a quadratic equation in u. Simply substituting values into the equation will not give you the correct answer.
wahaj

Homework Statement

52x - 3(5x) = 10

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

log 52x - log 3(5x) = log 10
2x log 5 - log 3 - x log 5 = log 10
x log 5 = log 10 + log 3
x = (log 10 + log 3)/log 5
putting this in my calculator I get 2.11
by inspection I can tell that the answer will be x = 1. So what am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think if you do the substitution [itex]u = 5^x[/itex] you can solve a quadratic for 'u' and then get 'x' from that. One of the 2 solutions will be negative and therefore outside of the domain of the log.

Edit* Oh, well I guess I should say that the first line of your answer that you tried is already not right, you accidentally used the wrong properties for logs: http://dl.uncw.edu/digilib/mathematics/algebra/mat111hb/eandl/logprop/logprop.html

wahaj said:

Homework Statement

52x - 3(5x) = 10

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

log 52x - log 3(5x) = log 10
2x log 5 - log 3 - x log 5 = log 10
x log 5 = log 10 + log 3
x = (log 10 + log 3)/log 5
putting this in my calculator I get 2.11
by inspection I can tell that the answer will be x = 1. So what am I doing wrong?
First of all, log(a + b) ≠ log(a) + log(b)

To solve your equation, use the exponential property that, [itex]\displaystyle \ \ 5^{2x}=\left(5^x\right)^2\ .[/itex]

Then letting u = 5x, you will have a quadratic equation in u .

oh that makes more sense. I thought I could do that. Well thanks for the help I got the answer I needed.

wahaj said:
oh that makes more sense. I thought I could do that. Well thanks for the help I got the answer I needed.

No, you cannot say 'log of a sum = sum of the logs'---that is just false. For example, log(5+1) = log(6) (because 5+1=6), but log(5) + log(1) = log(5) (because log(1) = 0).

1. Why does my exponential equation result in a negative number?

Exponential equations can result in a negative number when the base is a negative number and the exponent is an odd number. This is because multiplying a negative number by itself an odd number of times will always result in a negative number.

2. How do I solve for the variable in an exponential equation?

To solve for the variable in an exponential equation, you can use logarithms. Take the logarithm of both sides of the equation and then use the properties of logarithms to isolate the variable.

3. Why is my answer not matching the answer in the textbook?

There could be a few reasons why your answer does not match the answer in the textbook. Check to make sure you are using the correct formula and that you have correctly entered all the numbers and variables. It is also possible that the textbook answer is rounded, so try rounding your answer to see if it matches.

4. Can I use any number as the base in an exponential equation?

Yes, you can use any number as the base in an exponential equation. However, some bases, such as 1 or 0, can result in simpler equations or special cases, so it is important to consider which base to use when solving an exponential equation.

5. What is the difference between an exponential equation and an exponential function?

An exponential equation is a mathematical statement with an unknown variable that involves exponents. An exponential function, on the other hand, is a specific type of equation that represents exponential growth or decay. A function has a specific form, while an equation can take on different forms depending on the values of the variables.