1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What am I doing wrong integrating with 1-|x|?

1. Jan 20, 2014 #1
    I understand [itex]\int[/itex][itex]^{1}_{-1}[/itex]1-|x|dx = 1 visually just by graphing it and taking the area of the triangle but for the sake of more complicated examples I'm not exactly sure what step I'm messing up when I use the FTOC:

|x|= x when x>0, -x when x<0

[itex]\int[/itex][itex]^{0}_{-1}[/itex]1-|x|dx + [itex]\int[/itex][itex]^{1}_{0}[/itex]1-|x|dx

= [itex]\int[/itex][itex]^{0}_{-1}[/itex]1-(-x)dx + [itex]\int[/itex][itex]^{1}_{0}[/itex]1-(x)dx

= [itex]\frac{x^2}{2}[/itex]|[itex]^{0}_{-1}[/itex] - [itex]\frac{x^2}{2}[/itex]|[itex]^{1}_{0}[/itex]

= -1/2 - 1/2 = -1 [itex]\neq[/itex]1

Any input is appreciated and hope this makes sense lol (still getting used to the formula drawer).

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2014 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi zmalone! welcome to pf! :smile:
    you missed out [x]-11, = 2 :wink:

4. Jan 20, 2014 #3
    Wow :( I don't know why I was taking the derivative of 1 instead its anti-derivative but I certainly confused myself by doing so for the past half hour. Thanks for pointing it out!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted