Troubleshooting Homework: Identifying and Addressing Mistakes

• Thread starter Shackleford
  • Start date
In summary: I'm just not seeing something.In summary, The conversation is about solving a problem using the concept of a conservative field and path independence. The person is trying to find the integral of F, where F = grad f, but is struggling to find the answer. They discuss different approaches and eventually realize that the only mistake they made was not finishing the problem completely. The final answer is 3/4, but the answer in the back of the review has a different value.
Shackleford

Homework Statement

See Image

Homework Equations

See Image

The Attempt at a Solution

See Image

Attachments

• review.jpg
    review.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 440
Physics news on Phys.org
You're right, it is a conservative field - that's the key to the solution.
I think you're trying to use path independence, which is also key, but try it another way.
you're looking for the integral of F; and F = grad f... well... what's the integral of grad f?

Actually, I can't really see a problem. So...am I really just that rusty? What's the answer supposed to be?

The only thing you are doing wrong is that you have not finished the problem!

You have (9- 12+ 4)- (1/4+ 1- 1). Okay, what number is that?

HallsofIvy said:
The only thing you are doing wrong is that you have not finished the problem!

You have (9- 12+ 4)- (1/4+ 1- 1). Okay, what number is that?

Well, that answer is 3/4, but the answer in the back of the review has -27/4.

lzkelley said:
You're right, it is a conservative field - that's the key to the solution.
I think you're trying to use path independence, which is also key, but try it another way.
you're looking for the integral of F; and F = grad f... well... what's the integral of grad f?

I have that written out.

1. Why aren't my experiments yielding the expected results?

There could be several reasons for this. It could be due to errors in the experimental design, faulty equipment, or unexpected variables. Re-examine your methods and try to identify any potential issues.

2. Why am I consistently getting different results than other researchers?

It is important to consider the possibility of differences in experimental conditions, equipment, or techniques. It may also be worth consulting with other researchers to compare methods and troubleshoot potential discrepancies.

3. How can I improve the reproducibility of my experiments?

Reproducibility is key in science, and there are a few steps you can take to increase it. This includes carefully documenting your methods, controlling variables, and using standardized techniques and protocols.

4. What should I do if my results do not support my hypothesis?

It is important to remember that negative results are also valuable in scientific research. Take a step back and evaluate your hypothesis and experimental design. It may also be helpful to seek feedback from colleagues or mentors.

5. How can I prevent bias in my experiments?

Bias can be introduced in various ways, such as through experimental design, data collection, and interpretation. To prevent bias, it is important to carefully plan and execute experiments, use blind testing when appropriate, and critically analyze your results.