Calculating Mass of Oxygen from CuO and Cu

• Thread starter termite
  • Start date
In summary, you are trying to determine the mass of oxygen by reducing copper oxide. However, the relationship between the copper and the CuO is not clear, and the experiment may not produce accurate results due to your lack of knowledge about chemistry.
termite
Here's what I have:
Mass of CuO (copper (II) oxide) = 2.0g
Mass of Cu(metal) = 1.7065g

What I need to find is the mass of oxygen by using the two given above. Do I just do 2.0g-1.7065g=.2935 to get the mass of oxygen or do I do something else? :confused:

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
termite said:
Here's what I have:
Mass of Cu2O (copper II oxide) = 2.0g

What I need to find is the mass of oxygen by using the two given above. Do I just do 2.0g-1.7065g=.2935 to get the mass of oxygen or do I do something else? :confused:
I am bad at chemistry but is that the complete problem ? :bigsmile:

It is an experiment. Basically from the two numbers given I have to get the mass of oxygen.

Cuprous oxide (copper (I) oxide) is Cu20.
Cupric oxide (copper (II) oxide) is CuO.

You seem to have the two confused. You should start by figuring out which compound you're actually working with.

- Warren

Sorry for writing CuO incorrectly. Fixed in the initial post.

Your experiment won't get good results, or perhaps it will be zero after all, because you-I mean Y.O.U-don't exactly know much about this either..
What professor has taught you the way to get out the oxygen's mass by such a MINUSING ? That professor I think should go and teach gym than instruct his students such a terrible experiment.
I have seen by my eyes an explosion during an experiment of hidrogen and a student in that traggic accident was terribly injured in her two eyes and got blind then on only because of her stupid ****head professor's carelessness.

Sorry, I think you should CHECK out your papers one more time before making up your mind for this and any further testing/experiment.

Me-Motifs

If you started with 2.0g of CuO and performed a reaction to reduce it to plain Cu, the mass of oxygen is indeed just the difference in the two masses.

If you are submitting this to an online homework system, make sure you consider the significant figures in your answer.

- Warren

Motifs said:
What professor has taught you the way to get out the oxygen's mass by such a MINUSING ? That professor I think should go and teach gym than instruct his students such a terrible experiment...
Motifs,

I will respectfully ask that you not post here unless you are capable of staying on topic.

- Warren

chroot said:
Motifs,

I will respectfully ask that you not post here unless you are capable of staying on topic.

- Warren
I know you must be working really hard for your site,
I admittedly also get angry sometimes for "problems" that are brought about unexpectedly like that...
I am sorry, Okay ? :smallsmile:
Regards,too

Last edited:
termite said:
Here's what I have:
Mass of CuO (copper (II) oxide) = 2.0g

This question is definitely incomplete. If this is a question from a book or homework, post it exactly as stated.

There is no indication here what the relationship between the copper and the CuO is.

Is the copper got from the reduction of the oxide, or is the oxide made from the copper, or is there something else happening here ?

Hello,

The reaction should be like that: [itex]Cu~+~ \frac {1}{2} O_2 \xrightarrow {heat} CuO[/itex]

So you should first calculate how many moles are there in 2.0 grams of cupric oxide, and learn the mass of oxygen gas from there by using mole-mass equation.

The other mass data about copper may be used to check the calculations, or be used in detecting any impurities of either oxygen gas or copper.

Last edited:

1. How do I calculate the mass of oxygen from CuO and Cu?

The mass of oxygen can be calculated by first finding the difference in mass between the initial sample of CuO and the remaining mass of Cu after the reaction. This difference is equal to the mass of oxygen that was present in the CuO.

2. Can I use the molar mass of CuO and Cu to calculate the mass of oxygen?

No, the molar mass of CuO and Cu are only used to find the number of moles of each element present. To find the mass of oxygen, you need to use the difference in mass between the two compounds.

3. Why is it important to calculate the mass of oxygen from CuO and Cu?

Calculating the mass of oxygen is important in understanding the chemical reaction that occurred between CuO and Cu. It also allows for the determination of the percentage of oxygen in the original sample of CuO.

4. What units should I use when calculating the mass of oxygen from CuO and Cu?

The mass of oxygen is typically measured in grams (g), so it is important to use consistent units throughout the calculation. If the initial mass of CuO and the remaining mass of Cu are measured in different units, be sure to convert them to the same unit before finding the difference in mass.

5. Can I use this method to calculate the mass of oxygen in other compounds?

Yes, this method can be applied to any chemical reaction where oxygen is one of the reactants. However, the specific calculation may differ depending on the other reactants and products involved in the reaction.