What are all the matrices that commute wit a matrix of ones?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 2K views
Jamin2112
Messages
973
Reaction score
12

Homework Statement



What are the characteristics of a matrix that commutes with a matrix of ones?

Homework Equations



None.

The Attempt at a Solution



I'm helping a buddy with his homework and I can't figure out this problem.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Relevant equations None.
What about the definition of "commute"?
 
Figured out the answer, I think. The sum of every row and column is the same.
 
Jamin2112 said:
Figured out the answer, I think. The sum of every row and column is the same.

Sounds right, can you prove it?
 
Dick said:
Sounds right, can you prove it?

Yes, but the problem doesn't ask me to
 
Jamin2112 said:
Yes, but the problem doesn't ask me to

Fair enough.